Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have read that two people have helped or eliminated a gas filling problem by swapping the two small hoses on the mechanical valve at the top of the filler tube. I just had my local garage change the filler on my wife's 2000 Forester and now gas will barely go in. 2 gallons in 10-15 min with a can babying it all the way barely. My questions are, what is the proper name for that valve and does it just connect or disconnect flow between the small tubes or does it have a check built in. If it just connects or disconnects then switching the tubes should not accomplish anything and I will have removed the tire and cover for naught. It is very cold and snowy in my driveway so I would prefer not to waste time if I can help it. Advice would be welcomed.

Hopefully they didnt stuff a rag in the tank and forget it there.

The valve at the top of the filler is a vapor flow control valve which is supposed to re-route fuel vapors from the tank to the charcoal canister during re-fueling. IIRC it does also have a check valve built in.

Since this happened right after they replaced the filler tube I would say its definitely possible they put the hoses back on the wrong way.

Ditch the plastic cover. All that does is trap dirt against the filler tube and cause it to rust out.

Success. Thank you very much for the timely reply Fairtax. I had considered early on that the local mechanic had reversed the two small lines but someone told me that the valve was a simple open/close so with the work involved with removing the tire and cover I didn't bother. I took your advice on the cover as well, I am prone to not putting things back if I don't like the design or for access so I reached in with the tire on and broke away the cover to gain access. Too cold for finesse. Popped off both lines and went to the gas station. Put 40 dollars in in a flash. Now I am going to put the lines back on, hopefully the right way, and fill the tank to the top. My wife is happy and we can go see our daughters today because of the fix. Thank you again.