Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2007 2.5i Impreza cracked muffler (OEM)

I am wondering what years (I'm thinking 02-07) will bolt up? I'm looking to stay OEM. Any idea if a forester one will fit? My car is a wagon/hatch. Thanks!

Sorry I don't have an answer for you. What happened to your muffler? My 96 with 142,000 miles still has the original muffler with very little rust. No holes, no cracks.

Sorry I don't have an answer for you. What happened to your muffler? My 96 with 142,000 miles still has the original muffler with very little rust. No holes, no cracks.

No idea! I was driving on the turnpike and it started making a noise. Took it in and they said its cracked. Car has less then 50k too. I'm assuming something from the road damaged it. 

You might speak with Subaru.  For a 2007 model with ~50K miles they might cover it under the emissions warranty.  Can you see your glove box for the warranty booklet or go to Subaru.com and look it up.

Worth a try-thanks!

edit: its not covered.

Edited by Kerplunk105

If you have one of those family owned muffler shop in your area that does the cut, bend, weld, approach to exhaust repair go there. Where I live, the store is called "Ralph's Muffler Shop to give you an idea of what the shop may be called. Repairs at a shop like this are around $50. Avoid the chain shops like Midas, Car-X, and the dealer, to avoid a huge repair bill.

Hope you find one at a J-yard in good shape. You need to find out exactly what needs to be replaced...........the muffler or the pipe? If the crack is not too bad, you could possibly clean the area and patch with JB Weld. This will hold for a while until the weather warms up to make for a permanent repair. Just be sure to let the JB Weld harden up over several hours before driving the car.

I went to a little shop. They said the muffler has a small crack. They could weld it but the guy wasn't sure it would hold because of how thin the area is. It was $45 for that.

Then I recommend the JB Weld approach. It is an epoxy putty in one tube, a hardner agent in another tube. Kit cost about $6.00 It is easy & quick to apply. Finished area doesn't need to look pretty, as it is out of sight on the muffler. You just need to let the product set up and dry, so don't drive for several hours, or best to let it dry over night without driving to get the patch material good and hard.

Years back, I applied to a small hole on an exhaust pipe. The JB weld held up for years, never did leak there again. The stuff is amazing.

After looking at a diagram. I think it's actually the resonator.

I had the resonator break on both of my Oubacks. I took to my local family owned muffler shop, where I had them cut out the resonator, and replace with a piece of straight pipe, that they welded in. Surprisingly, both cars are no louder then with a good resonator. I don't know why Subaru bothers installing a resonator. It is not needed. Cost was cheap to repair this way.

I had the resonator break on both of my Oubacks. I took to my local family owned muffler shop, where I had them cut out the resonator, and replace with a piece of straight pipe, that they welded in. Surprisingly, both cars are no louder then with a good resonator. I don't know why Subaru bothers installing a resonator. It is not needed. Cost was cheap to repair this way.

I noticed at the junkyard that the Impreza 2.5i (n/a) 02/03 doesn't even have a resonator! You didn't have any issues with inspection? I may just do this..

I noticed at the junkyard that the Impreza 2.5i (n/a) 02/03 doesn't even have a resonator! You didn't have any issues with inspection? I may just do this..

No problem at inspection. A resonator does not affect exhaust emissions. Just make sure that your problem is not with the catalytic converter. If so, then the cat converter must be replaced.