Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea71 tranny questions

Hey guys, so i recently bought a 79 brat from a friend and got it running. By doing so, of course, i ran into some problems. Mainly i realized that that the front disk hubs that connect to the front half shafts are completely shaved down, So ill need to find some of those hubs. Also i tried going through the gears and when its in gear the stick wobbles around a lot, and also i can't get it to stay in neutral. Oh and the driver side half shaft doesn't turn.

So my questions are, can i find new disk hubs? and can i rebuild the tranny? or is it better to get a used one? Also finding a tranny seems difficult as well, i found a website that says they have one, but it'll cost around 500.

any advice is much appreciated. 

these old 4 speeds always have a ton of slack in them, its mainly from the bushing where the bolt holds the shifter to the fork thingy. sorry i dont know the correct names haha. only one of the half shafts will turn, if you held onto the spinning tire, the other side would spin, thats how differentials work.

here's your rotor! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Subaru-Brat-Front-Disc-Brake-Rotor-40549004-OPparts-/111192083924?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ASubaru%7CModel%3ABrat&hash=item19e3908dd4&vxp=mtr

Howdy, been a while since you posted. 

To clarify; do you mean the splined hub that the shaft slides into? You'll be better off buying a pair from a member, than finding some new. Or if you do; they'll be expensive. 

The transmissions are known to have shifter bushing problems. There's a couple of DIY ways to fix that. 

Driver side CV could be blown or all the power is going to the other wheel because of the stripped hub. Very unlikely that the front diff is wasted, but not impossible.

The neutral problem? Could you describe a little more what it does exactly.  

Finding parts down here is tough. I've bought just about everything from up north, and shipping sucks... but it's the only way to keep both Brats happy.

Thanks for the replies! yeah its been a while, i have been lurking around to make sure the questions haven't been answered before.

ill try to see if i can get the driver side to spin. Also yes i mean the the splined hub, where the shaft slides into, speaking of which ill have to get a new shaft as well, but i can those from rock auto.

But its good to know i can get those rotors new as well.

For the neutral problem, when i start the brat up, the passenger side shaft spins constantly, which i assume that its in gear, ill shift into second,third and forth and it seems to stay in gear. however when i try to but it in neutral the shaft still spins, and will continue until i put the clutch in.  Is this cause by the linkage being loose? or a transmission problem?

Also when i put it in 4-wheel drive the back wheels will turn, and stop when i put it in neutral, but the front passenger still spins.

I am starting to realize that there isn't any junk yards with subaru's down here.

Yeah I understand, I wish I could be able to make a trip up north and go through some junk yards to look for myself. I've have been thinking I could swap the one from the driver side to the passenger side, as a temporary solution.  Considering since that side is the one that spins at the moment.

This probably a stupid question, but is there a way that maybe a machine/metal shop could fix my stripped disk hub?