Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The reason for my "alias" scooner.

Scooner

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1qkh0y.jpg

Finally had a chance to work on my roof rack. It was 10 degrees bur worth it, I started with this powder coated rack I bought from a pickup topper sales place that had used it as a display rack. Bought it for $30. As you can see it was squared off on the bottom and was too long for my car.

2cwvtlk.jpg

Finished it all up after work! I bolted it straight through the tube and the cross bars using 4" stainless eye bolts and nylon nuts. Then I cut 3" off the ends of the cross bars with my band saw. Just need some cross bar end caps now. This rack project is something I've had in my garage since summer. Feels good to get it done, now to build a new from bumper including a skid plate

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Why thank you! I like to think we all pride ourselves on our ability to create what we want and try something new. I had a friend ask me once, "why not just get a jeep or bronco?" Because ANYONE can go out and buy/drive one of those and blend into the crowd, but a lifted subie? Now that's just cool.

• Like 2

Lol. Also heard them called "Mall crawlers" Lot's of them around here. Seen some really nice rigs done well that have never seen a day of dirt in their life.

Love the roof rack. This is the sort of thing that set subies apart from another toyota or jeep - we do it ourselves and usually have to figure out the process along the way. A lot of creativity goes into our cars since there's no mass manufacturing for subaru "off road" products. Thus each car has it's own very unique personality and plenty of blood, sweat, tears and confusion invested into it. Each off road car is a small work of art and can tell you a lot about the guy or gal who built it.

I like the direction yours is going. Also good to see another sube with kayaks on the roof.

• Like 1

Haha confusion is a perfect way of saying that! Around here in cowboy country the diesel douches have to be the worst with their mega lifted cummins, duramaxes, and powerstrokes and since there are no emissions requirements here they barely have mufflers...and then you see the hideous abomination of 10" wide stacks rising from their pickup beds like buckets stacked on top of each other. ROLLING COAL. What clones they are.

I love this car and will most likely end up selling my brat just to finance more stuff for this haha

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...