Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 OBW died while driving, won't start

OK, I am new here, and pretty new to the wonderful world of Subaru. I bought a 2000, auto, 2.5 legacy outback wagon about a year ago. A week ago, my wife is driving home from work, after about 3-4 inches of snow had fallen, and the car just died going down the road. She managed to get it off the road and into a parking lot. It will not start. We have sprayed starting fluid, and it will start on it, but dies right away. We replaced the fuel filter last summer, we replaced the fuel pump and the dreaded o ring today, the cap showed no signs of cracking. Last week, when we pulled the line off going to the fuel filter under the hood, there was some fuel, but very little, it just drizzled out. After the replacements today, there's no fuel at that line, but it did start from the starting fluid, and died back out. We are lost at this point.......any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

Have a 2001 Outback Wagon but mine is the 3.0 . Had the same problem last year with mine. Sounds like your fuel pump. Mine died out the same way. If yours is a wagon lift the rear seat and under that black stuff they have stuck to the floor you will find bolts to the plate that covers the pump. You can check the wires there that send power to the pump. If you have someone open the gas cap and listen while you turn the key they should hear pump run. Pretty expensive to replace if you don't have deep pockets. I did mine myself. Not that hard but when mine died I had a full tank of gas. Just tried by best not to make any sparks. Inside of car smelled like raw gas for over a month. Good luck, I hope I am wrong, but that's what I think happened.

From what I read Your fuel pump relay is inside the car, left drivers side, under dash, behind or above your fuse box, with a green connector going to it. Good bright flash light and a mirror should help you see.  good luck    cold outside, mice like to get in and chew, or a lost ground to pump

I know this is obvious, but if there is no power at the pump, then either there is [1] no power on the input to the relay [2] no power to energize the relay or [3] a break in the wiring from the relay to the pump.

The relay, as you are aware, is in a very inaccessible spot, but you should be able to feel it energize [for about 1 sec] when you first turn on the ignition so you can at least eliminate/verify the no. 2 alternative.

Most likely, it's not energizing, and in that case, someone on the forum may be able to direct you to the wire on the computer that energizes the relay and you can trace it back that far.  It's a tough problem.

We know there is no power at the fuse box either. When the relay was tested it came up good. I will attempt to twist myself into the car and see if I can feel anything. Thank you everyone, for all the help. We spent all day yesterday working on it, and are so frustrated right now. Nothing like having the Subaru in the family go down during a snow storm, and now we have another one coming tonight.....ggrrrr.

Did you check fuses under the hood?

The control side of the relay is grounded by the computer. Possible the ground circuit is faulty, but not very common, so pretty unlikely.

Fuel pump relay is in the far upper left corner under the dash. Very hard to get to. Make sure ALL the fuses in the under hood panel are good, even the big slow blow fuses.

We checked just about everything with a test light and/or a meter.....I have an ignition switch on its way. We are now under over 6 inces of snow, so Scooby Roo work is on pause for the moment, at least till the snow stops and I can dig it out.......lol