Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HELLO, I have a 2002 Subaru outback wagon, base 2.5 engine with 150,000miles. The timing belt pressure part siezed.The Subaru dealer said the valves were probably bent. The Subaru dealer said the engine needs to be replaced. I am asking for your exerpertise of how to proceed replace, rebuild, etc.. Other than the engine the car is in above average condition.

I look forward to your advice.

Gerry

unfortunately that is an interference type motor meaning when the timing belt goes, there is going to be internal damage - not sure if it is a valve to valve problem or valve to piston problem on the 2002 - I am sure someone else will clarify that one for you.

If it is valve to valve you might be able to get away with just changing heads, not the entire engine.

Yes, that engine is interference design and when the timing belt breaks it does bend valves.

No, that does not mean you need a whole engine. The dealer is only recommending that because its easier for them.

The heads can be removed and new valves installed, or replaced with used heads from a junk car. Very pricey at a dealer. I'd recommend finding an independent shop to do the work. Preferably one that knows Subarus.

Your other option is to find a replacement JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) used engine that's been imported. Larger centers across the US and Canada sell them. Basically the Japanese government forces their citizens to scrap their cars starting when they become 4 years old. The taxes on older cars is just too high and most people junk them. Many are stripped of their engines, trannies, front clips, etc. and shipped world wide. Usually they only have 35 000 miles or so on them.

Check the automotive trade papers/Auto Trader/Wheels/etc., in larger centers around you. I'm sure you'll find one. Check their pricing, shipping to you, and then find a good independent mechanic to install it. Don't do it at the dealership unless you have very deep pockets. And make sure that you get the same generation engine for your car, as well as the entire engine wiring harness and computer, if possible. That makes  it a direct drop in without modifications.

Then again, with some searching you might find a good used motor at a wreckers in your state. Good Luck!

Hello again,

The dealer advised me he would not know if the pistons were also damaged until they remove the head. He said he does not have evidence one way or the other at this point but said it was a possibility. I would appreciate your thoughts of that possibility....50/50, 90/10, 10/90, etc and comments.

THANK YOU,

greyn