Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i have a 95 legacy and has been doing great for years.here recently it has cuts off when coming up to a stop light and coming up in the drive way at home. Most of the time it cranks back up. i have gone to church or walmart and went inside and come out sometime later and it would cut off soon as i cranked it up or soon has i had to put brakes on.  it now dont know if its two problems but now i can be going down the road about 55 and it starts to jerk like it wanting to quit, i down shift and raise the rpms and finally settles out. i have change the wires, fuel filte, plugs and put in injector cleaner. really needs someones help. im disabiled and sure dont want to break down somewhere on those cold dark roads. thanks for any suggestions

Sounds like a vacuum leak or a split PCV or breather hose causing an air leak into the intake tube between the MAF sensor and the throttle body.

Could also be something as simple as a plugged up PCV valve. If that hasn't been changed its a good idea to, and give all the hoses that lead to the intake tube a good check.

Its been rather cold to work on it, but i went out and cranked it up and adjusted the throttle cable until it idled real good, about 900-1000 rpm.  it ran and idled good for about 3 minutes and the rpms started to go up and down until it shut down. it will crank back up but shuts back down after a little while. i just read the replys tonight and did not check the pcv valve yet. i did check the vacuum hoses and took the air filter out and looked at the map but it looked ok (no dirt appeared to be there) i dont have a lot of money to waste, i did replace the plugs and wires but didnt notice if i got the ngk plugs or not, its a chalk mark on the map sensor looking like to me it may have been changed before. i will check the pvc in a few days, snow storm suppose to be coming in. i put some foam injection cleaner in the tank and i cant tell much difference. i cant hear the fuel pump running but it must me to run as long as it does. i took the gas cap off and still could not hear it either. check engine light is on, but can get it running long enough or scared it will break down before i get to autozone. they have a checker.i pulled the access cover to the over the fuel pump access area and used a screwdriver against my ear and still dint hear it but it would still crank. does the subaru have a switch that cuts off the fuel if the car turns over.. any more ideas would be appreciated .  thanks

Is it turbo'd? You mentioned MAP sensor. Those *can* causing jerking when the car goes to boost from vacuum, but I haven't had MAP issues since my 84' Chrysler Laser 2.2 turbo acted up in high school. A failing crank position sensor (or one with a short in the wiring) can cause all sorts of headaches. I had a 92' SHO that had the crank sensor wire routed too closely to the crank pulley, which caused it to rub the insulation OFF and created an intermittent short that would cause the engine to buck badly then stall. And created a hard start issue after it'd stall. Very hard to diagnose as it was hidden by the timing belt cover. Could also be a cam shaft sensor issue too. Any codes getting stored? I start there.