Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i have a 98 impreza. the fan just stopped working and im no longer able to defrost or use the heater. ive checked fuses but it did this before and then started working so i think i have a bad connection. i just dont know where the connections would be? any help????

Fan is up under the glove box on the passenger side.  There is also a resistor pack in the ducting that controls the speed.  

If you can check voltage under load at the fan that will tell you the most.  You could also try bypassing the resistor pack just putting the wires together, the fan will run at full speed.

The fan is easy to drop out and I have a few if you need one.

Remove the glove box to gain access to the fan. Remove fan cover, there is a chance that leaves and gunk has fallen from the defroster vents to clog up the movement of the motor. Clean out the crap can fix the problem. If not, then the resistor pack is the likely problem.

Another thing you can do is verify that voltage is getting to the motor when any speed is selected and the ignition is ON. You should have voltage on both leads of the motor if the relay and wiring is good to the motor. The resistor pack is on the return side of the motor circuit.