Ultimate Subaru Message Board

H6 Serpantine maitenance questions

I have a 2001 H6 3.0l just getting ready to make a rock auto order, im ordering a belt and two pulleys, can i order two dayco pulleys part no 89148 or do i need to get the entire tensioner assembly ? from what i understand the tensioner assembly uses the same pulley as the idler pulley, is this correct ?

thanks in advance guys i love this car just getting all maitenance caught up and current since i just bought this, very impressed so far, all i had owned before hand was ej22, really liking the ez30d so far

you can order two bearings 6203 or 6204 (i forget, easy enough to google it)...they tap out super easy - hammer and a socket and they pop right out and back in.

i don't have the part number handy but i've posted it before - if you found my posts - that's it.

i've seen people install them wrong, i'm not sure how that's done though...washer, bolt, backwards, something.  just pay close attention.

tensioners dont' fail too often.  i've seen it once on one with about 170,000 miles.  most people just replace the pulley bearings or pulleys.

Edited by grossgary

• 6 months later...

right so does the tensioner use the same pulley as the idler pulley ?

yes.

But you do not need to buy the whole pulleys......

you just need 2 bearings.......6203.........they press right into the original pulley.

but if you buy the whole pulley w/ bearing in it it should bolt right on.

the bearings are not super cheap and if you have no tools or workspace, just get the pulleys. Everyone reports it will work fine.

no reason you shouldn't inspect the tensioner since everything will be accessible. maybe wiggle it around and if there's much movement, just prepare your self to order one and change it in the future. But, as said above and from what I read, failure of the tensioner is rare.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan