Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Testing unknown EJ251

Greasyfingers

I sure would like to KNOW that the EJ251 I bought is worth the money it costs to make it ready for installation in my Outback. Is there some sort of test(s) that I could perform or inspection to make sure nothing catastrophic will happen when I start it up? All I have to go on is the owner statement that it ran ok..............???

Pay the shop to pull the oil pan and reinstall it with fresh new silicone.  While its off check for metal.  Pull the spark plugs and make sure the ends aren't smashed.  If you have access to a bore scope stick the camera in the spark plug holes.

Its an absolute gamble but its what you get when going with a used motor.  

Pay the shop to pull the oil pan and reinstall it with fresh new silicone.  While its off check for metal.  Pull the spark plugs and make sure the ends aren't smashed.  If you have access to a bore scope stick the camera in the spark plug holes.

Its an absolute gamble but its what you get when going with a used motor.  

Thanks Shawn,

I've done the pan and spark plug check, results were ok. No bore scope but I'm pulling the heads anyway so I'll get to check the piston top and bore. I can't think of anything else to check until I get it installed and running.

used oil analysis.  from pan or oil filter.

oil pressure, i guess once it's first installed to verify initial condition.  it's not impossible to get the engine to rotate out of the vehicle, but few are likely to try rigging up a starter to generate the RPM's necessary to turn it over.  i've seen one shop in OH have the capacity to do that, mount, rotate, and even run a Subaru engine outside of the vehicle.

Edited by grossgary