Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is it possible to install a Subaru Cruise Control unit in a Gen2 Brat GL? 

It is labled to work for all GL models.

Just wondering if it is possible now that I have converted it with a Weber Carb.

If not then I will be looking to sell it. :(

Yeah, should be possible. 

You'll need to add switches to the clutch pedal and brake.  And you'll need to hook up a wire to the VSS in the speedo head (all gen 2's should have them)

All hook ups

Clutch and brake switches looped (opens a switch breaks circuit when either pedal is pushed canceling cruise)

Brake light swtich (seperate from loop.....cancels cruise when 12v from brake lights present, redundant)

Tach

VSS

12v+ (power on)

Ground

Everything else is wired to the unit already (actuator assembly)

Might need an extra vac resevior if the kit doesn't have one.

• Like 1

my brat has some switches and control stalk...but I think the rest has long been gutted... I was actually surprized it was even available...

You can hook up those switches to an EJ cruise computer, pump, and cable actuator.  Looks totally stock but works like new.  Doesn't even need to be an EJ engine just hook up VSS and Tach and wires to clutch/brake pedals.

I don't even think my 85 has an ECM...where I think it's supposed to be mounted (under the steering column) there is nothing. From what I've seen posted and such it's my belief that the 85 Brat has a computer module but there is nothing...I'm guessing it was yanked when someone did a Weber conversion and tossad all the other "junk" under the hood.

I don't even think my 85 has an ECM...where I think it's supposed to be mounted (under the steering column) there is nothing. From what I've seen posted and such it's my belief that the 85 Brat has a computer module but there is nothing...I'm guessing it was yanked when someone did a Weber conversion and tossad all the other "junk" under the hood.

It would only have all that if it were a California model.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones then, mine was originally a Cali resident.

Once it warms up I'm going to work on getting it installed. The wife still doesn't know why it is needed, oh well going in anyway:)

I was talking about the ECM. Not the CC computer.