Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi, I'd like to meet other '99 OBS/ Impreza owners

Hi All,

As you can see, this is my first post here. I just purchased my second Subaru, a green/ gold '99 OBS 5-speed with 219,500 miles on the clock now. In my first 1,000 miles, I am really enjoying the car and have had no problems yet.

I put on a new set of tires, replaced a ball joint which had a rip in the boot, and adjusted the clutch pedal reach/ free play, which seems to have greatly improved a synchro problem downshifting into second. My Suby was salvaged after being totalled out by a minor front-end wreck (have all documentation, it wasn't bad at all). The exterior is a bit rough, some dents and faded clearcoat, but I don't care as long as I keep the rust away. The engine is clean, no drips from the cases, and the tech who replaced the ball joint and tires told me it looked to be in good shape overall. 

My question for other Impreza/ OBS owners of this generation, is what would you reccomend in terms of preventative maintenance other than oil changes, etc.? The car had one owner for most of its life, the owner who wrecked it had it for only a few K miles, and it looks like scheduled maintenance was performed. I would really love to put another 100,000 miles on this little car, I am already in love. Thanks in advance!

it needs a new timing belt kit immediately. $130 on amazon/rockauto for Gates kits.

the tensioner itself is suspect, they aren't all that reliable, and the timing pulleys are likely all devoid of grease now and spin nothing like a new pulley does.  if the pulleys seize the timing belt won't survive if it's got zero miles on it.

ideally cam seals, crank seal, oil pump resealed (oring and tighten backing plate screws with locktite), cam orings (if quipped), water pump are replaced while the timing belt is off.

that would give you 100,000 miles out of the major engine components, which can also cause extensive engine damage if they fail since it's an interference engine.

change the transmission fluid.