Ultimate Subaru Message Board

brand new CV axles clicking

odie

Just installed a new CV axle from Autozone...well rebuilt but still a "new" axle...

started clicking as soon as I drove it...It only clicks when in gear and giving it some gas (putting a load on the axle).  Reverse, forward, turning, straight..does not matter...same exact sound but only when on the throttle.

The only other stuff I did at the same time was new ball joints and trans mounts...not gonna cause a clicking...

Zero clicking with the old axle (boot just tore last week). 

Now the Brat is lifted to max using the stock shock adjustment nuts...but it didn't click before the axle swap.

I'm gonna have to take it back for another one I guess...maybe I just got a bad one?  Or do replacements need "extra" grease?

comments?  thoughts? 

Very common. Remanufactured axles are terrible. If your of one was fine, take this time to disassemble it, clean it out, regrease it and put new boots on it and reinstall it. If you're going with remanufactured axles get lifetime warranty.

I bought the Autozone axle cause it had a lifetime warranty...  I think I'm gonna exchange it and try one more and hope if was a fluke...

if it's bad too then will be looking for CV boots...

are the inner and outter boots the same?  brand recommendation?  Dorman, EMPI?  part numbers to look for?

Hey Odie!

~~I replied to your other thread-post about the CV shaft, thanks for the offer!

I just wanted to chime in here with my two cents.

The first aftermarket AutoZone special order CV shaft I put on my car had a light clicking sound almost immediately.

Within a week or two, it was a full on chatter.

At 5 weeks it made a disturbing KNOCKING sound on the highway. Got rid of that garbage, got my refund as per the AZ warranty, and ordered a rebuild/aftermarket reproduction (can't remember) shaft off RockAuto. So far it's good, also light clicking/chatter but it's not too serious.

-Try RockAuto. They also have lifetime warranties on their parts (most if not all the CV shafts), and I found them to be cheaper. They do sell OEM rebuilds.

-Or listen to what these guys are saying, they haven't let me down!

The CV longevity link I75eya posted looks promising, and I'll have to take a look at it.

-Sam

Edited by SnatchedHatch

that's quite a collection of spare shafts....

I'm gonna keep my old axle and reboot it...still going to exchange the AZ axle and see if I get 2 duds....

in the mean time I gotta find a junk axle for core trade...lol

how can I tell if the axle is OEM?  some of mine have zip ties so at the very least they were rebooted...

Use toyota boots or good big (long) universall boots off ebay

my question on replacement boots...how do you know what size to get?  or are all cv boots pretty much the same size? or are they kinda one size fits all?

I saw some youtube videos and was shocked by how much a boot can stretch...I saw one where the small end was stretched so much it slipped over the whole joint.  no need to disassemble the the joint at all????? 

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/96433-axle-rebuild/?do=findComment&comment=811297

Here's another good link for rebuilding your old axle. I've done this myself and it works wonders for reviving one.

If you're going to reboot your old axle i highly recommend doing this first if you have the time. If your original axle is in decent shape to begin with this will make it like new again and will last you many more years. Definitely worth the trouble if you can do it.

Find some scrap cv's and just trade those in for warranty exchange them so that u have spares around

Lol really you did say autoone

only done it about 50 the times

This is fraud.  And it costs all the rest of us money

And almost worst of all your hoarding axles from the collective rebuilt/buildable supply!lol

I wish i could report you to autozone.......but at least I know who to blame for rising prices for the axles and changes to warranty policy that could screw me over when I actually need a warranty.

It's bad enough to give that advice.  But to post pictures you've actually committed a crime multiple times and bragging!?!?!

You don't deserve any love from your subaru and it will break down on you to prove it.

Hording? No ive given more away than i have

The axles u r getting are new not rebuilt they scrap the "core"

Autozone dont care they dont pay for any of the parts they have there they are all on a type of consignment so that they can put the mom and pop places under that is there goal and they make no secret of it

Not bragging just trying to help some one that got ripped off by there garbage parts and his time and effort that az dont care about

"You don't deserve any love from your subaru and it will break down on you to prove it."

Well with garbage az parts it most likely will thats the hole point of this thread

Edited by apintonut