Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi i recently bought a subaru impreza ej16 sohc non turbo and i think i have change everything on there such as filters, oil and plugs and plug leads but i still have bad gas mileage and i also notice it has this real slow response when i'm taking off, even when i'm driving and i mash down it hugs back and then takes off like a bat out of hell. What could be the reason for all this to be happening.

Yes, only the very early EJ15 and EJ16 were Carburated.

So, since your EJ16 is EFi and writing about its fuel economy... the bad fuel economy and the slow response that changes to fast response only if you floor the gas pedal, could be done by some different causes; let's start from the Basics:

Dirty fuel injectors and something wrong with the Throttle Position Sensor or its Wirings.

Kind Regards.

Some questions to fill in!

Milage/KM:

Build year:

AT/MT:

2wd/awd:

last valve clearance adjustment:

What oil did you put in (synthetic, and viscosity):

Timing belt: could timing be off? that would be bad. Was it replaced?

I have a 1.6 on LPG but also still runs on gasoline. I found this motor very throttle aggressive (not so smooth compared to 2.0 or 2.5). The fuel efficiency is not that good due to the low motor output, unless you do not increase over 3,000 rpm

...i have never check the timing belt or changed it.

Well, after fourteen years and 221K kilometers ... :eek: ... that timing belt could be about to snap in no time, maybe already has jumped a couple of teeth... it happened to my Subie some years ago, the Timing belt was so old that had some missing teeth.

I Kindly suggest you to check that Timing Belt / Replace Timing kit as soon as possible.

Kind Regards.

O2 sensor as well...could be giving your PCM false readings...or you could have a dirty MAF 

I am not sure my 99 EJ16 has a MAF, i think it is calculated from intake air temperature and atmospheric pressure. Note that the ej16 is the most basic model you could get.

I would for sure check the timing belt it should have been done at 100k and 200k, valve adjustments are every 60k (all KM) as far as i remember.

Sorry for the Thread Hijack...

The LADM (Latin American Domestic Market) had the 1.5L EJ15 engined impreza in the very basic model: Manual transmission, no 4wd nor power windows nor power locks... while the 1.6L EJ16 engine came with the same basic impreza, but with Automatic transmission.  Seems like the 2000 impreza from the original poster is 2WD automatic EJ16, like the LADM Specs imprezas, see:

milage: 221797km

year: 2000

AT

2wd

last valve clearance adjustment I really don't know

I use 10/30 shell oil

i have never check the timing belt or changed it.

End of thread Hijack...

Kind Regards.

Hi,

Did you replace the fuel filter as part of your filter maintenance? Also, does it rev freely  in Neutral/Park?

GL,

TD

Off-topic but I can't imagine..

...does this come w/extra passengers - to get out and push up hills??? 

Makes ~114HP and ~111 ft-lbs (slightly more than the old US EJ18) and it weighs ~3K lbs. 0-100 km = 12.6 secs. AWD/11.8 - FWD, BUT it gets combined 38+ MPG!

• 2 weeks later...

Well it doesn't have a o2 sensor neither the hole for it but it does have the connection....I changed everything. I realize thou that the transmission shifts 1st and 2nd reasonably well but third has the slow build up; I was wonder if its because its not turbo charge and also a single cam why it reacts this way. Seems like it doesn't shift out of third when i slow down so when i accelerate i get the sluggish movement.