Ultimate Subaru Message Board

engine problem

So my lights come on, engine turns over, starter sounds fine, fuel pump comes on, but the engine refuses to catch. after tring to start it up the first couple of times, I checked my oil and put some more in since it was really low, topped off my raidator fluid, let it sit for a bit then tried again but it still would not start, The fuel pump just got installed at the end of november, otherwise i would think gas is not getting to the engine, though i suppose it could be a gas line. Anybody with any idea why my engine wont start?

thanks

ViceMan

it ran last tuesday(febuary 4th), and it ran pretty well. it is not driven daily but it does get used most times twice a week or more and this is something new that happened this morning. the fuel pump was replaces in november, and I replaced the power steering pump lines and bracket after the bracket broke this past summer and bent the hard lines while doing it. but other than that and putting in oil on a regular basis nothing else major has been replaced. oh the fuel pump is from a 1986 f-150 ford pickup, since it has about the same specs as the oem subaru pump but is a lot cheaper since their is more supply, and its been working well ( thanks to generaldisorder and his subie repair shop, a great person to go to get your subbie repaired). the only other thing is a new upper radiator hose, but other than that its been running well. although apparently the engine is from a 4 door subbie and mine is a 2 door so the engine got swapped somewhere along the line, I know this becuase the 2 door raidator hose did not fit but the 4 door hose did. that is all i can think of.

oh for anyone out there that's curious, the fuel pump works great, and it even passed DEQ within a month of it being installed. It is louder than the oem pump but you don't even hear after a while.

Edit #1: I just remembered that the fuel pump from the f-150 you need is the frame mounted fuel pump not the low presure fuel pump inside the fuel tank.

ViceMan

Edited by ViceMan