Ultimate Subaru Message Board

90s Legacy and Legacy Outback Seat cloth styles

Hey all, noob to the forum, pleased to meet ya.

I'm planning on buying a 90s legacy wagon or outback, and have read through all the engine varieties and pros/cons of each, so I feel I am ready to proceed on that front. However, one thing I've had a hard time nailing down is which years/models have which interior seat cloth.

There were a lot of legacy wagons in the early 90s with a sort of Velour looking cloth. There is also a two-tone looking style that is most often light grey and dark grey, and is a little more textured, almost like a canvas/wool look to it. It is this latter style, and variations of it, that I'm most interested in learning about.

Specifically, there is this one green legacy that Ive seen parked a number of times when I ride my bike to work. I always look inside when I pass it because the seat style is awesome! Its this wool like texture I mention above, but instead of just dark and light grey, there is some more colorful threads woven in, maybe a mixture of light reds/pinks with browns, and then some grey as well. Its still two-tone if I remember correctly. And it is the most wool looking of any legacy seat ive seen.

Anyways, is anyone good at naming the year/models that have distinctive seat cloth colors/textures?

Ive had a hard time finding any site that breaks it down well. And cant seem to find pics of the style I describe above. I also dont kow the exact year of the legacy, just that it is a wagon. My gut says late 90s.

If you know of any resources let me know. I will try and sneak a picture if I spot that car again!

-Scott

I have owned an early 90's Legacy, and now own 2 Outbacks, a 98 and a 99.

The 90-94 series had nice velour covered seats (sort of mouse fur) that are comfortable, the 95-99 had either a choice of cloth or leather seats. The cloth seats are not so great. The foam packs down over time, and gets uncomfortable to sit on. From a comfort stand point the leather seats are great.

Some time back, I did see super nice comfortable seats in a late 90's sports sedan model. Car was in a j-yard.  It was prolly a late early '00s - '03 Legacy sedan.

I am not much on colors, textures, and what is pleasing to the eye. It is what feels best on my back side that I want to sit on, that I go for.

My 99 had cloth seats, that I swapped out for leather seats from a 97 that I found in a j-yard. They bolted right in. I really like them.

I've seen those seats. Those were generally in Outback models. 96-99 years with the grey interior. You may be able to find them in a Legacy L wagon occasionally, but mostly Outbacks from what ive seen. They had a similar seat that was a darker grey as well, but those I don't see very often.

You can find them in junkyard cars easy, so don't let the lack on those seats prevent you from buying a car. Usually $15-20 each at a U-pull yard.

I've seen those seats. Those were generally in Outback models. 96-99 years with the grey interior. You may be able to find them in a Legacy L wagon occasionally, but mostly Outbacks from what ive seen. They had a similar seat that was a darker grey as well, but those I don't see very often.

You can find them in junkyard cars easy, so don't let the lack on those seats prevent you from buying a car. Usually $15-20 each at a U-pull yard.

Yes, the dove grey seats were standard on the "Limited" model Outbacks of 97-99. I have also seen them in the up scale Legacy sedans of that same time frame.

Hey all, thanks for the replies!   After more research, I finally found a pic of the style I'm referring to. I haven't been able to isolate if this cloth style is limited to a certain year or not though. It seems it was an available style in 1996 &1997 Subaru Legacy Outbacks, but I'm unsure of the style was switch in 1998 or just depended on the model. Almost all of the interior cloth pictures I can find online for 97-99 are close but decidedly different in that they have a squiggly line pattern instead of a strait line pattern, see pics below:

This is the one I like:

1996_subaru_legacy_4_dr_outback_awd_wago

19994d1307584237-1997-subaru-outback-wag

And this is the one that I'm mostly seeing pics of for any 9640745339.jpg-99 legacy out