Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 adventure

Sharing a couple pics here because i think you chaps might enjoy them.  I managed to get my brumby together in time for the Cannonball Run here in NZ.  I had a few small issues i might mention in case anyone wants to chime in with some advice.

1) RHF Outer CV joint started to seize and run super hot.  Massive shuddering in the steering and dangerous handling ensued.  I was a few hundred miles from home so cut the CV boot off and doused it with CRC/WD40.  With repeated applications, it came smooth and would run quietly for about 50km between re-lubes.  Covered another 600km since that fix and now im home safe so its time to fix it.  Had never seen one seize before!

2) To take the load off the front axles, i used 4WD for short stints on the highway.  I discovered the rear diff is whisper quiet in 2WD but howls like a woman scorned in 4WD.  I wonder whats broken in there.

3) Oil pressure was iffy at best.  I dont trust my save-barn gauges much since their tachometer is a blatant liar, but it indicates about 10-15psi hot idle with 30psi highway running.  Getting a maximum of 45psi when warming up on the way to work.

Enough text, PICTURES!

1920092_10152003633389514_118933267_n_zps3a697920.jpg

IMAG04229_zps9bc3a2af.jpg

IMAG0397_zps874ac455.jpg

IMAG0409_zps73874240.jpg

IMAG0413_zpseb20f04f.jpg

IMAG0416_zps6afbcf84.jpg

IMAG0418_zpscf1dfe21.jpg

IMAG0426_zps5870c3ee.jpg

• Like 1

Oh and who doesnt love a bit of video, this was the last part of the event

Also i dont buy the torque bind theory since the howl was dependant on throttle and speed.  My Legacy is quiet even with the center diff locked up lapping roundabouts in the dry.

It's going to whine/howl in 4wd on pavement since the transmission and the rear differential are traveling at different speeds causing torque bind. Which will cause major damage to the transmission, rear differential, and will wear out your tires a lot faster.

That's ASSUMING his front and rear tires are different sizes. I used to drive my d/r EA82 GL on the interstate in 4wd all the time, never hurt it. Even after miles and miles it would slip right out of 4wd hi without having to force it. If it was binding it wouldn't have let go so easy.