Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ascending to hatchdom......and fun with little issues

Subruise

• 5 weeks later...

finally got a thermostat back in it today, as well as a shiny new period correct radiator courtesy of a generous donor to the cause. exhaust was getting pretty loud....loose nuts. fixed.

will be receiving a single range 5 speed trans soon....bye bye 4k all day (120mile round trip everyday)

• 10 months later...

update by absolutely no demand:

bad news first: shes been down for a week or so due to a pooped passenger side caliper (front, no rear discs yet). I have one on the way now. 

Good news: i got a weber for it today....which came with a nice and clean, refurbed ea81 hydro motor stuck to the bottom of it.

now itll haul the mail. who needs brakes? they only slow ya down. 

Ill actually take pics this time so everyone can see what happens when your engine leaks oil.. from between the block halves on top of it. 

no 5 speed yet, i traded it off for a ea82 for the wheeler. Im thinkin single range 5 speed would be perfect for this car.

• Like 1

unfortunately the rebuilt caliper was a drivers side with a passenger side ebrake lever. bummer. I have to get to work tomorrow so ill be attempting an upside down caliper install :eek:....

I might have some used ones coming in from portland maybe. 

Good to hear you got a caliper

• 2 weeks later...

caliper got replaced again. got the correct correct one this time. 

dropped in the new webered engine today. wondering if my feedback model car is giving it fits for some reason. I was unable to use the harness supplied with the engine (85 brat) in my 87 hatchy, so i used mine.

It idles high and dies. also has a 65 secondary jet, which Ive been told is too big.

throttle response is slow to die off (i.e blip throttle and it swings up before coming back down)

I saw a viseo of this engine and this exhaust running in the PO's BRAT and it seemed fine then...what gives?

This carb was on the engine when I installed it. its from a non feedback 85 BRAT. I would assume that if it ran there it would run here (I saw a video too). choke is getting .6v.

my battery was low, which is a similar sypmtom to Skylar's maxima alt swap.

would the existence/influence of the california ecu mess anything up?

Edited by Subruise

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...