Ultimate Subaru Message Board

strange issues and sad mistakes

Dose the engine turn by hand ? if so try a small wire from + to small terminal on starter see if and thing happens this will bypass car make sure trans is in neutral

+1

Give it full voltage and it will likely work.

Your ignition switch has gone south, and isn't conducting enough to trigger the starter.

Very common and easily fixed with a relay, or pushbutton, or both.  Search

Tell us that you changed the oil filter !!!!!

You should do a couple of oil changes with filters when you get it running. Run for several minutes and dump the oil. Smell the oil.  After the first change, the oil change intervals are your call.

Edited by silverback

Tell us that you changed the oil filter !!!!!

You should do a couple of oil changes with filters when you get it running. Run for several minutes and dump the oil. Smell the oil.  After the first change, the oil change intervals are your call.

i did yes! when i changed the oil i did everything so there are new spark plugs and a new filter on the beast.

on another note i was able to hear it run for the first time in a month just now! ive never heard a sweeter sound in all of my life. there is another problem though. it dies slowly after a few seconds at idle. i think it had this problem every now and then during the one day i had it running before this whole ordeal. i havent done any research yet on what it might be. just thought id update here first and then dig through the forums. thanks guys! this is awesome!

edit: i should also add that the reason its now running is that i temporarily ran some 16 gauge wire parallel to the wire from the battery to the starter. this obviously wont last for long. just until i figure out what gauge wire i should use. anybody know?

Edited by daddydongo

another update. its dark now and my work days over so i decided to try and take it for a ride. at first it started fine although it still had the idling problem but after a few stops and starts and before id even got halfway down the first block(remember i bought this to learn manual on) i couldnt get it to move forward. the gas pedal would be anywhere from all the way down to just barely pressed and it would still die on me when i let out the clutch. it just really wanted to die and almost nothing i tried could get it to change its mind.

So, you went for a test ride a zero-dark-thirty hours. Never boring when you do that. Is your catalytic converter clogged? Is there any smoke spewing out the exhaust pipe as in a grey cloud?

You are working through some electrical problems.  Have you checked the quality of spark at the sparkplugs and the coil output?

Edited by silverback