Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA Dual Range 5-Speed into 2004 Forester

I'm considering putting a dual-range 5-speed transmission from an EA series car into my 2004 5-speed NA Forester.

I know it's been done and I know there are some threads about it, but I'm just looking for some general thoughts on the idea.

Good idea? Bad idea?

Is the engine going to be too much for the transmission in the long-run?

I might ask for some how-to info later, but for now I'm just toying with the idea.

From what I've read the EA trans doesn't hold up well long-term when paired with the 2.5.

There is another option, you can find an EJ dual range oversees and have it shipped. Seems to cost about $1,500 to $2,000 though.

I was hoping I could do it cheaper with an EA series trans. I know where I might be able get one cheaply.  :(

I was hoping I could do it cheaper with an EA series trans. I know where I might be able get one cheaply.  :(

I say do it anyway, and just don't drive it like you stole it. Possibly even put a brick under the gas pedal to keep you from going full throttle.  ;)

There's plenty of EJ22 GLs out there with EA d/r transmissions. Yeah we are dealing with more weight AND more power, but I think if you just drive it normally with the occasional romp on the trails I could see it lasting for a while.

Will work fine if you don't try to do full throttle pulls in FWD.

Biggest issue is you'll need to open the trans and put 25 spline stubs in it......or make hybrid axles with 23 spline cups.

I don't think the axle thing is really feasible either though....because forrester axles use a tripod inner joint, with different splines than the old EA axles.

The couple I've done in New gens I opened and swapped stubs.

Will work fine if you don't try to do full throttle pulls in FWD.

Biggest issue is you'll need to open the trans and put 25 spline stubs in it......or make hybrid axles with 23 spline cups.

I don't think the axle thing is really feasible either though....because forrester axles use a tripod inner joint, with different splines than the old EA axles.

The couple I've done in New gens I opened and swapped stubs.

I've always wanted to crack one of these open anyways. Maybe I'll get my chance!

This is your best and strongest bet. http://m.ebay.com/itm/Subaru-Gearbox-5MT-Dual-range-conversion-kit-USA-only-Legacy-Impreza-Forester-/271274224042

I've been considering it for a couple mo the now. Once I have enough saved up I'm going to do it. The advantage to this is its build, bolt and go. No adaptor plate, axel change hybrid, or gear ratio issue.

And who can say, "I have a ej dual range in my forester"? Very few in the states. Haha.

Prwa

This is your best and strongest bet. http://m.ebay.com/itm/Subaru-Gearbox-5MT-Dual-range-conversion-kit-USA-only-Legacy-Impreza-Forester-/271274224042

I've been considering it for a couple mo the now. Once I have enough saved up I'm going to do it. The advantage to this is its build, bolt and go. No adaptor plate, axel change hybrid, or gear ratio issue.

And who can say, "I have a ej dual range in my forester"? Very few in the states. Haha.

Prwa

Problem is I don't think US market ring gears had the beveled edge to clear the lo range set.  At least not a 4.11 or 4.44 with a 1.59 lo set.

That "kit"  (used parts from AUS cleaned up) probably has the wimpy 1.19 or maybe the 1.44 lo range and does not include the vacuum actuator for it (might be able to use P/T EA unit).

And then you are left with AWD not locked 4wd.

Not knockin that route entirely......just not sure it's really worth the money and certainly not if it's really gonna be a serious wheeler.

I'd like to see someone actually assemble one of these "kits"

For $1000 I think you can get a Whole D/R box shipped over.

Agree would be easier/better to get the right one shipped from Australia / NZ/ Japan ( from a local importer?) out of a Forester/Outback    without having the hassles of the modifications to use a   EA  D/R transmission.

04 Foresters / Outbacks here are availabe with MT D/R transmissions.

"Designed and developed by Subaru Gearboxes Australia is 1x 5MT Dual range conversion kit to Suit American Market Subaru vehicles only.

This kit features all the necessary parts to convert your existing 5MT into a dual range Hi/Low range gearbox.

Improve off road driving ability with either a 1.29, 1.47 or our custom 1.6:1 Low range gear."

Deffnintly true with the AWD vs the old school. Although I have never had any problems with my 00 forester AWD, other than it dosnt have low range... Haha. And I've had it in sum good amount of snow.

As far as the gearing if its true what they say about the 1.6 low range that's the same as the ea low range. And they don't send it with the front diff weighs to much. So substitute you current front diff, prolly 4.11 like most foresters. That would be a killer machine.

But yeah, all depends on what you really wanna do. Wouldn't hurt to contact them as well. Yeah GD has had two shipped over from Europe payed around 800$ shipped each, but that was years ago.

Prwa

As far as the gearing if its true what they say about the 1.6 low range that's the same as the ea low range. And they don't send it with the front diff weighs to much. So substitute you current front diff, prolly 4.11 like most foresters. That would be a killer machine.

That's what I'm saying......USDM 4.11 diffs (the dozens that I've seen) do not have the beveled edge that the 3.9 Hi/lo trans do.  This means that it will not clear the 1.59 Lo range set without grinding a bevel into the edge.

I've done it for a hyrid box......it can be done but its a crude operation and not ideal.  I wouldn't spend $1000 on parts just to have to cobble the rest toghether caveman style.

That said I would love to hear form someone who actually bought this kit, and how well it went toghether and work.

If it worked to convert old FT4wd difflock boxes........that would be worth it.

Ideally it would be best to get a complete trans axle (including front diif)

The best EA trans would be one out of a late 80's RX 11 Coupe, if you could get one (rare as hens teeth) 

These are AWD D/R with a lockable centre diff, as against a standard EA D/R trans (part time selectable FWD / 4WD)

I have a 240k mile EA D/R combined with a EJ25 (in a loyale), i think it holds up just fine, granted i dont beat it TOO hard, but i have been known to chirp my tires (26" grabbers) on occasion.  i believe tho in this case you are limited to clutches/flywheels available for EA cars.  i could be wrong on that and if i am please correct me if i am.

Edited by xbeerd