Ultimate Subaru Message Board

pulling transmission, best way please?

I'm going to be doing a trans swap in my 97 Impreza sport and would like to know if it is easy to pull the trans without pulling the motor.  I have had a number of Loyales over the years and have always pulled the motor to get the transmission out.  Have already had the motor out of this Impeza once to do the clutch, now the trans is on the way out...sigh....   if it is possible to pull the trans out from under the car how much room do I need?   I don't have a hoist and will be doing the work on the floor off jack stands.  Thoughts?  Thanks.

Edited by punchycar

I replaced my manual trans in my 99 Impreza OB Sport while it was on jack stands. I only used a regular floor jack without any tranny attachment on the jack. I did have the jack stands set at the highest level and it wasn't so easy to get lined up by myself, but I did end up getting it in there. If you have a extra set of hands, it should be no problem. Be sure to have some extra chucks of 4x4 or even 6x6 wood nearby to get the added height and level out the tranny if you are balancing it on a regular floor jack. The tranny will also need to be taken off the jack to get it from under the car and the new tranny will need to be placed up on the jack after you get the new tranny under the car.

I do caution, when that tranny is up in the air, it sure does hit the ground hard or any body parts that might be in the way...  :banghead:

Oh and be sure to drain the tranny as much as possible or place a drop cloth under the car to keep gear oil off the floor 

Yes, exhaust is easy. Unbolt it from the heads, the hanger mount in the trans, and undo the rubber hangers from there back and you can drop the entire system and slide it out from under the car. Be sure to unplug both O2 sensors!

Trans cross member does have to be removed. You can leave it bolted to the trans though.

easily comes out from underneath - can actually come out quick minus stubborn rusty exhaust bolts.

if you have an engine lift - snake chain down past the engine to the trans and let it help you hold the weight as you work from underneath.

depending on work environment, your agility, tools, your ability to keep googles on to keep rust and dirt out of your eyes - it can be annoying to challenging for some people.  but mechanically speaking it's simple to pull from underneath.

you can pull the lump - engine and trans together out of the engine bay.

Sounds like I'll be pulling the tranny from underneath this time, should save me some considerable time.  I my try to use my motorcycle jack as a trans jack, might work.....  no problem getting the exhaust off as I just had it off a while ago to do the clutch.

@ GG  as you say to pull the two as a lump, do you remove the trans crossmember?  Do you chain it from both motor pick points or use the eye on the front of the transmission and how much lift to clear the tail of the transmission past the header panel?  As in how tail down is the unit as you lift it out?  Just curious as I may be pulling a unit from a parts car for future considerations.  Thanks

clear the header panel?  i'm not sure what that means. if you mean the exhaust - that has to come off for the trans to swing down and come forward.

it gets pretty vertical, i don't know how to be specific about it. i didn't pull the trans crossmember when i did it, but it's not like that's hard if you had to.  you'll want the engine much higher than the trans to pull it up and over the front radiator support.

i did write down how many chain links front to back so i can reinstall the lump at a similar angle.  but i'm currently doing it on an H6 EZ30 with automatic so it would be different anyway.

Edited by grossgary