Ultimate Subaru Message Board

replaced pads, now a knocking in front.

Hey,

replaced my brake pads in the front today, and now there is a pronounced knocking noise from the front right when under light braking.  everything works fine, stops well both lightly and hard, just makes a knock noise that is timed with the rotation of  the tire.  it won't do it under hard braking, but light to medium makes a lot of noise and it wasn't there before.

Ive checked all the bolts, lug nuts, etc.  I only removed the one bolt to allow the caliper to open and didn't touch anything else.  used the tool to spin down the caliper, used caliper lube, hand brake is adjusted, I cant think of anything that would cause it all of a sudden.

anyways, just throwing this out there, ill take another look tomorrow and see if I just missed something obvious.

hi,

you probably already know about it but,  on the final turn screwing the pistons back into the caliper you have to leave the piston in just the proper position to accomodate that little nub on the backside of the brake pad, otherwise the pad will not sit flat against the piston and can wobble somewhat.    check all the pad retainers clips and spring, to be sure they have not jumpped out of position.

Ive checked all the bolts, lug nuts, etc.  I only removed the one bolt to allow the caliper to open and didn't touch anything else.  used the tool to spin down the caliper, used caliper lube, hand brake is adjusted, I cant think of anything that would cause it all of a sudden.

So you put new pads on un-turned old scored up rotors?

That's your noise.

best guess is that its a warped rotor (they are not worn terrible, but that one makes a small scrap sound when moved by hand.  doesn't shimmy or anything when braking.  Ive had plenty of crap cars that had noticeably warped rotors but they never made noise before.  it has the same rims, same rotors, calipers, etc.  the only thing different between the day before and after was the pads

ill pick up a new rotor for it and see if that takes care of it