Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Going to pick up my barn find 1978 BRAT

Hello all I am new to the forum (my name is Randy) but have been lurking for a few weeks now. I am from west Texas, we all know what that means "My BRAT will be bigger and better!!!" Jk ;) they say always start with a joke ;)

I am making a 240 mile round trip this morning to pick up my new to me, fresh barn find 1978 Brat. That seems like a far way to go to some but if you have ever Been to West Texas you know that's only about three and a half hour round trip drive no busy roads and such.

The guy I am getting it from was hard to deal with because he did not want cash just wanted to trade :/ we'll that's not bad but I love everything I own and am quick to get rid of stuff I don't like ( just ask the two ex wives ;) and I'm only 30 lol. But needless to say I had to have this BRAT, she looked so sad setting in the barn and not being touched for over ten years. The Brat not my ex wives they could use some shelf time in a barn lol:-)

So long story a lot of talking trades and a few guns later I am gassing up the old Chevy 2500 cargo van and going to get my new BRAT.

I will post pics of me picking it up from the barn and when I get it back to my shop.

Ok updated with pictures, sorry if they are not to great still trying to get use to the new iPad. I would have posted them yesterday but had to take the wife out to dinner and a movie since I got a new toy :)

The first two pictures are from where I picked it up at they are not to great but you can tell it was in a true barn on a farm in west Texas. She is dirty and dusty but she will not be that way for long. There is some rust but not bad at all from what I have seen on other brats, from what the guy said the car spent it entire life in West Texas. First things first I am going to see if I can get this thing running and go from there. When I made it home yesterday I pulled the plugs and squirted some mystery oil in there so now off to go and check a few things and see if it will fire up.

post-52243-0-61775500-1393609351_thumb.jpg

post-52243-0-09512000-1393609378_thumb.jpg

post-52243-0-56892600-1393609417_thumb.jpg

post-52243-0-17551100-1393609438_thumb.jpg

post-52243-0-42918100-1393609522_thumb.jpg

post-52243-0-64067300-1393609551_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rinker1989
  • Like 1

I love potatoes and gems lol

This is going to be a job but looks fun, I'm a perfectionist when it comes to stuff like this so this will be a awesome BRAT when we get done with it. Yes I said we it takes a village to raise a BRAT up right

Not

So How much BIGGER AND BETTER will it be?I am building a 6" lift for my 78 brat,and replacing the 1.6 with a 2.2, and,.....

Not sure what direction I'm going with on this build yet. It will take me a few weeks of looking to figure out what all I want to do with it. Six inch lift sounds nice, not sure I will go that high though was thinking something along the lines of 3 to 4. As far as engine I'm looking at what all it would take to put a EE20 in the brat.

Very nice, pix are great!

Definatly have to tend to the wife first at times. Hope this marriage works out better for you than the previous.

Thanks, I will post more pics once I clean her up a little. And the new wife is for sure a keeper I made sure of that before I said I do this time lol. Yesterday I was toying with the brat and she came out with a glass of sweet tea sets it down and then come back a few minutes later she had put on old jeans and shirt and put on a ball cap and said I'm hear to help tell me what you need. That made my day! Now I'm sure the are guys that there wife's help them work on cars and such but my wife is very feminine so I did not see that coming at all. She just told me if your going to be out here working on this car guess I'm going to learn some stuff because I want to be right the beside you. If that's not a keeper than I don't know what is.. Oh and she is smoking hot so that helps also;-)