Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Blown off spring perch......rear shocks.....interesting repair

So.....We had a week of deep snow here on the valley floor.  And no plows.

Not a problem for me at all.  Mostly.

I did have a problem when I crossed a set of railroad tracks going pretty fast........the road had 6" of snow on it....the tracks had been cleared and had none....

It was like dropping into a 6" deep ditch, and then blasting back up out of it at 30+ mph.......My brand new Struts/shocks were not happy.  Espescially the rear right one......the spring perch blew off the bottom and the car was riding about 4" low on the side.

IMG_0820_zpsdf74da42.jpg

IMG_0821_zps8f07097f.jpg

Here is the repair

IMG_0822_zpsf0d964ab.jpg

IMG_0823_zpse2f4ef08.jpg

IMG_0824_zps1599caa3.jpg

IMG_0825_zpsa5869933.jpg

Works great....I may use this method to make some long travel coilovers for my EA81 wheeler!!!

• Like 1

Any particular reason for the 'sharks fin' gusset? Or was that a handy scrap piece?

As to your extended travel rear shocks, the rears from a Nissan 300zx might be useful. Least that what I may try whenever my GL gets lifted higher. About 8" travel too.

Any particular reason for the 'sharks fin' gusset? Or was that a handy scrap piece?

As to your extended travel rear shocks, the rears from a Nissan 300zx might be useful. Least that what I may try whenever my GL gets lifted higher. About 8" travel too.

If the welds at the bottom were to give the fin would wedge into the area inside the shock mount on the arm.....and stop the spring from traveling all the way back to the bottom again.

It also was a handy piece of scrap.