Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I think I have it figured out that I can do this and use 2.5 head gaskets but have to drill some holes, I will need a intake manifold from a 95 2.2 with egr, the heads are dual port so should bolt right up, The questions I have are do I use a 2.2 timing belt or a 2.5 with single cams, and do I time it like a 2.2 or a 2.5 with single cams or are they the same? Do I use the 2.2 or the 2.5 head bolts? what parts will interchange? Water pump? oil pump? tensioners? injectors? and the big question does doing the give more compression? somebody told me to put premium in it after, and will it be an interference or non interference engine when done? Does it help to put a thin layer of permatex on the head gaskets to help to keep them from leaking?  I am looking forward to getting away from the DOHC. Thanks so much.

You'd be better off using cometic hybrid head gaskets for the build, not much more expensive and they're already cut in the exact coolant port pattern.

And never use anything to "help" a head gasket seal, you will insure a quick death.

Timing belt should match the heads.

SOHC 2.2 and 2.5 have different belts because of the distance from the cams to the crankshaft is different.

Water pump and oil pump are the same.

Timing tensioner you will have to see which style you currently have and order a kit that matches.

This will be an interference engine.

It will have around 11:1 or higher compression ratio and will require premium gas.

Injectors will have to match the intake manifold. The 2.5 intake will not bolt onto the 2.2 heads. Injectors are seated in the manifold, and IIRC are different between 2.2 and 2.5. You may be able to swap the entire fuel rail assembly with the injectors, but I'm not sure.

Injectors will have to match the intake manifold. The 2.5 intake will not bolt onto the 2.2 heads. Injectors are seated in the manifold, and IIRC are different between 2.2 and 2.5. You may be able to swap the entire fuel rail assembly with the injectors, but I'm not sure.

You don't need to swap injectors.  Use the entire 2.2 manifold if it's 95-98.....If it's an 90-94 manifold.....you will need to swap the wiring, but hte injectors and fuel rails stay with the manifold.

You'd be better off using cometic hybrid head gaskets for the build, not much more expensive and they're already cut in the exact coolant port pattern.

And never use anything to "help" a head gasket seal, you will insure a quick death.

Cometic claims to have a correct gasket for this.....

But when you look at what they send you (which I have 1st hand)......you will see the holes DO NOT match the 2.2 heads.  The upper ports are almost entirely blocked by the gasket and the lower hole in the 2.2 heads that supplies coolant between the exhaust valves is completely blocked.

It still seems to me drilling out a 2.5 gasket would be better.

What part number did you order. Myself and Jay Storm worked with them personally almost a decade ago to get the right coolant ports, I sent them an ej22e gasket for the pattern personally.

Check their website......the gasket they show has no ports in the center top and bottom around the bores.

I was just at a friends who bought them for a Frankie.......and he was bummed when I showed him that the cometic gasket almost completely BLOCKS the upper ports.  He hadn't bothered to hold them up against the 2.2 heads but when he did it was obvious.

http://www.maperformance.com/cometic-subaru-mrx-hybrid-gasket-ej22-25-h1631spk040s.html

http://www.shopengineparts.com/parts.aspx?eid=599&cid=24&type=engine&vtype=Import+Auto&make=Subaru&model=EJ251+99-05

Cometic doensn't list a "conversion" or hybrid gasket........I did find the a link for a part that claimed to be that.......but it's really just a 2.5 gasket.  None of them have the ports directly above or below the cylinder.

Edited by Gloyale

Yeah, I guess you just need to know how to search. Because that is gasket is completely wrong.

H1631SPK_zpsu9hvda4p.jpg

I'll just leave that there for future reference, it's also helpful to call a company at times when you can't find something. They also list the wrong gasket for the standard ej22e, but they do make the proper one if you know what you're looking for. I know it's not an easy listing to find, but don't tell a guy that helped get them made they don't exist.

Edited by 86BRATMAN