Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 rx turbo coupe

i was wondering if my 87 rx is at all a rare subaru. ive never seen a red one only black, white, and blue. it is the original color and the vin badge on the door says the car was built in 12/86 . 

any help would be appreciated.

-Caleb

rx.jpg

The car you have pictured is not an RX. it is a GL coupe. 

The RX's did not come out till 1987.5 and were all White or Black.

On all RX's the 6th, 7th and 8th digits in the VIN are 56B, if those are not the digits, then it is not a RX (Dr.RX)

Although its not an RX Subaru did not make as many as them as they did sedans or wagons.

I once had one just like it that i did an Eary WRX EJ20G swap on.

rx-rally-cross.jpg

and currently have another one that i did a mid-engine EG33 swap on.

tn_DSC_3653.JPG

Edited by suberdave
  • Like 3

I have a sedan known as (by very few) as a GLTA - came factory 10/85  with EA82T and 3 speed 4WD auto, later ones got E4AT air suspension and a non checkered interior, so call it an auto version of an RX for simplicity, maybe the OPs is auto and a softened version of an RX when its not an RX, like mine ?

Edited by jono

Per my FSM's, 55B is a GL10 Turbo. Its still a fairly rare car, just not a true RX. I actually don't see an option 55B in a 3door runabout, so its a special order?!? You could always email SOA about it too.

The 56B gets color matched side skirts, air dam, and rear spoiler.

Edited by Ibreakstuff

Were disc brakes on the rear another factory option on the GL Turbo coupes? I noticed earlier that mine has them, as well as the LSD.

Also, I love that EG33 swap, it's just pure crazy!

Edited by Ziginox

• 3 weeks later...

All tirbo models for ea82 came with rear disc brake. A gl-10 3door is something rare that i believe had not existed. OR a 3door with a sunroof. LSD was an opton to order, but was not a gl-10 standard option the rx as a package has a full time dual range 5mt with diff lock and rear lsd. This could have been an order option for a gl.

The car pictured would be a 87 model year by date and if it has a optical disty and hotwire maf. 87.5 is when we got the rx package proper with white on white, checker interior, and body kit with side skirts. this package has supposedly only 2600 units from 87-88 or 89. the at option was a 4eat like the legacy.

• 10 months later...

Greetings, Subie Masters...a question...

I'm looking at an 89 RX, has 115psi in three jugs, and 95 in the other...180k miles...body looks straight (have only seen pictures) - what would a rig like this be worth in good running condition?

I had an 86 xt turbo coupe, and loved it...looking at picking this one up just because of the collector appeal and long term value.  Any ball-park figures would be nice (even a range ;~).  It sounds to be largely un-molested, though I'm told it has no carpet, and the front seats have been changed - don't know if the original seats are still available to go with it.

Any info that can be shed on this little pony would be greatly appreciated!

Interesting motoring article. Good to see that the journalist tradition of not getting every fact right was true back then also :P

Most people would've loved for it to have a 1.592 low range.

To the OP, if you want your car to be rare, import your car to Australia. I guarantee it will be the only GL10 (let alone GL10 coupe) here... :(