Ultimate Subaru Message Board

"NOOB" looking to buy a BRAT!

Hello all,

I have recently decided to buy a Brat, and would like to hear opinions on which year would be the best to buy. I will be replacing a Suzuki Sami

post-52352-0-38833200-1394081499_thumb.jpgpost-52352-0-08269600-1394081542_thumb.jpg

It will be used as a daily driver, I would like it to have a hi/low 4wd but am also leaning towards a gen 1, slight lift, but still be able to get decent mpg. Can a gen1 be moded to a hi/low 4wd? This is my current daily driver/camper/bug out rig....

2002 E350 7.3 PSD

Clydesdale 4x4 conversion

Colorado camper van pop top conversion

Van spec interior conversion

Arb lockers

On board propane/ furnace

12lb warn

Arb fridge

Many more goodies

post-52352-0-24051000-1394081912_thumb.jpgpost-52352-0-11337700-1394081872_thumb.jpgpost-52352-0-16268100-1394081943_thumb.jpgpost-52352-0-32381200-1394081976_thumb.jpg

I am from Yakima WA, all opinions are welcome since I am a noob to the Subaru seen.

Thanks

Buck

Edited by buckkiller
  • Like 1

Yes a first gen brat can be modded to have a dual range 4wd transmission in either a 4 or 5 speed. In some of the 1981 models the first gens had the second gen drive train. They had a ea81 (1800cc engine) with a 4 speed d/r  instead of the ea71 (1600cc engine) and 4 speed single range 4wd that came in almost all the first gen brats.

Love that van, man! Those converted ones are killer!

Thanks it took 10 years but she's finally done!! I bought the Sami to tow behind the van but have decided that I need something a little smaller and more practical as a every day driver. I will be selling the Sami to purchase the Brat, I always wanted one when I was growing up....it will be an expedition style build w/ mild lift, custom safari rack for storage, some led lights, custom bumpers w/winch,rear bumper will most likely have a swing away tire, with another water/fuel storage, ARB fridge in the back with a pull out stove and on board propane. Just like my van....I have the build in my head now just to make it a reality!! I guess I'm not a complete Subaru NOOB....I do own a 2013 outback that I bought in Dec of 2012 its the wife's but she wont let me change a thing.

Buck

Edited by buckkiller

Thanks it took 10 years but she's finally done!! I bought the Sami to tow behind the van but have decided that I need something a little smaller and more practical as a every day driver. I will be selling the Sami to purchase the Brat, I always wanted one when I was growing up....it will be an expedition style build w/ mild lift, custom safari rack for storage, some led lights, custom bumpers w/winch,rear bumper will most likely have a swing away tire, with another water/fuel storage, ARB fridge in the back with a pull out stove and on board propane. Just like my van....I have the build in my head now just to make it a reality!! I guess I'm not a complete Subaru NOOB....I do own a 2013 outback that I bought in Dec of 2012 its the wife's but she wont let me change a thing.

Buck

Nice! The brat you build will be pretty sweet, I hope you start a build thread on it with pics so we can all drool.

Funny, I bought my wife a 13' outback last June and its not so much as she won't t let me do anything to it as im reluctant because its brand new and I dont want to jeopardize the warranty. How do you guys like yours? I think the CVT tranny is funky.

Have a nice restored 80 brat very clean no rust 5000$ 100 % complete

I would love a gen 1 but think being 6ft 220 lbs I may be a tight fit..... :D  I was a die hard Porsche fan for years and have owned 7 different 911s but im not as this as i once was lol.

Buck

Go Gen II. You'll be glad you did.

Also, those EA81s are fantastic engines. You pretty much can't break 'em. They've got a surprising amount of grunt, too.

Ya I have decided on gen 2 and have found 2 that look to be gems....I have posted other thread asking for help deciding on which one to buy!

Thanks

Buck