Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1990 Loyale RS Coupe - seeking information

So, I bought a 1990 Loyale coupe in early January. I have to admit, though, I'm not too terribly knowledgeable about the Loyale RS, or the Loyale in general, so I'm really just looking for any info I can get on this particular car, which has been less than forthcoming on the Googles.

I suppose it might help if you knew what I was planning on using it for?

Autocross. More specifically, running in H Stock (for you SCCA peoples). It's a five speed, naturally aspirated with that funny push button 4WD option.

If you'd be so kind, could you learn me a bit about my car?

Cars101 has some basic info, but really searching here is your best bet for all things ea82.

The chassis platform and engine are both commonly referred to as ea82. Also called Leone in europe/asia (3rd gen Leone more specifically). The coupe is referred to as a 3 door runabout in the FSM's. The Loyale RS is basically the same car as a GL 3 door from 87-89. Looks similar to a RX/GL turbo with the spoiler and front air dam. Your motor is a 1.8L SPFI boxer, rumored to originally be designed as a 2.0L. Has the same bore size as an ej20.

If I was to run h-stock in a 3door, my first thing would be check/replace every vac line and rubber hose under the hood. And to make sure the pcv system is working.. search "ea82 spfi pcv fix". Next would be to get new kyb struts and RX or wagon springs to stiffen up the suspension. Then spend the rest of your budget on tires and brakes.

If you have more specific questions, bring it! Have fun!

• Like 1

Oh I forgot, pics... We need pictures. I'm betting money its factory red.

Sorry to dash your hopes, good sir. . .

1517551_10153700424935475_1565847035_n.j

Thus far, the car has proven to be a good car. A simple battery terminal replace made the thing sound a lot healthier than it did. There's a few maintenance things I need to do - a quick oil change, maybe flush the transmission and diff, but all things being equal, I'm feeling confident I'll be able to take H Stock. Of course, I can't change springs and stay in stock. Not cool.

I have a line on those super hard to find Peugeot 505 Turbo wheels, which will allow me to drop set of StarSpecs on it, giving me some extra grip. I also need to drop a good amount of money on a decent alignment. . .I put it on the alignment rack at school, and I don't think I've ever seen so much red in my life.

This won't be the first Loyale I've run in my life, though - My mother, actually, had a 1985 Subaru GL way back in the day; apparently that was the car I was driven home in when I was born. And once I got my license, it was my main mode of transportation. Five speed with a carb. The gutless wonder, as it were.

This car seems to be treating me fairly well. She'll rev well and won't sputter or spit at me about it, Turns pretty well, too, for all the rear toe. . and excessive front caster. . .and rear camber. . .Well, you get the idea.

Anyway,  I was just trying to get an idea of what sort of things I could do with it. Word has it I'll be outclassed by an Audi A4 in G Stock, but we'll see if I've still got what it takes to storm a class. . .

Edited by Arghetlam

Dang! I would have lost money, that is a rare color for the RS (as far as the ones I've seen in Norcal). And the trim white and black too, weird. The car hasn't ever been resprayed?

Sweet ride tho, looks clean.

With the same tires and a sorted suspension, I think have a good shot at beating a A4. He's more bloated.

Still never seen a black RS in person or on this forum..

post-34749-0-00278400-1394168380_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ibreakstuff

One thing I did notice is that the car is light. Very light. Light enough to get thrown around a good deal in the slush. Worth noting, though, that I haven't yet been in conditions that I couldn't control it in.

I rather like it; the body style isn't one you see a lot of. Fake RX or not, it's a great car.

I like the ea82, but would an EJ22 swap be a bad idea?

I am 1 of the 2 board members that have owned this car........I owned mine for 4 years, super reliable, mine was white and the other board members is red, made in 1990, super rare, kinda obsolete when looking up parts for the RS, most everything came up RX....

So, I bought a 1990 Loyale coupe in early January. I have to admit, though, I'm not too terribly knowledgeable about the Loyale RS, or the Loyale in general, so I'm really just looking for any info I can get on this particular car, which has been less than forthcoming on the Googles.

I suppose it might help if you knew what I was planning on using it for?

Autocross. More specifically, running in H Stock (for you SCCA peoples). It's a five speed, naturally aspirated with that funny push button 4WD option.

If you'd be so kind, could you learn me a bit about my car?

The car is white and has a Ron Paul sticker on the hatch. The wheels are the rectangular H style ones.

I know a lot about these cars, what do you want to know exactly?

I didn't even see the picture. The owner was going to sell it to me for $300, and I waited next to that car for about 3 hours before going home. He even called me saying he'd be there soon that he needed to get the title. I hate that guy. I have pictures of my car with that car though. You live in Spokane, wanna rally around with me?

I didn't even see the picture. The owner was going to sell it to me for $300, and I waited next to that car for about 3 hours before going home. He even called me saying he'd be there soon that he needed to get the title. I hate that guy. I have pictures of my car with that car though. You live in Spokane, wanna rally around with me?

I was there man. x.x; I'm actually still kinda mad about it because there's another RX for sale and the owner won't respond to me.

post-50516-0-41355900-1394195345_thumb.jpg

post-50516-0-93446200-1394195367_thumb.jpg

Aah, that's mine! I bought it the night before and parked it there to pick it up that night.

I'd love to rally around; time and place?

I'd have to think about that. There is a road that I like to zip around on, when we meet sometime I'll have to show you.

At the moment, I've run out of gas and don't get paid until Friday. x.x So, I'm on a motorbike right now.

Also, I can basically tour you through everything you need to know about that car, and I literally have almost every part to an old Subaru, and I also have the hatch with glass that fits our cars. (These are incredibly rare to find, I wish I had gotten the doors and quarter glass) The windshields are also super rare to find, and mine needed a new one, but, I sort of made one from a wagon fit. I can explain later.

On mine, I pulled the motor/ trans/ rearend from a loyale, replaced all the gaskets and bearings, and put them into my car. It's a DL, which was the LOW end base model that only came in FWD. It's actually a very difficult conversion that I'm not completely done with. That said, I have been in these cars through and through. I don't know how yours drives, I was going to buy whether it drove or not because it had a good body and mine.. doesn't. But, you'll have to try driving mine, there's nothing like a basically brand new subaru. (The loyale motor had 092,000 miles when I did everything). My original motor had 272,000 on it, and someone put 14 mil bolts into 10mil bolt holes and cracked the head leaving me with compression in 3 cylinders, and the car idled like spoob, but, always started up and once moving ran like a champ, just slowly.

Anyhow, I live behind the Fred Meyer on Thor/Freya if you live near by.

ALSO, I have a 5 wheel sets for this car if you're interested.post-50516-0-37495600-1394544898_thumb.jpgpost-50516-0-12186000-1394544884_thumb.jpgpost-50516-0-33171200-1394544853_thumb.jpgpost-50516-0-96262200-1394544800_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure what that is, it's a road that runs along the river and passes the water treatment facility.
I go down 2nd toward downtown, make a right onto howard, left onto (riverside? The one by the park) and get onto the maple street bridge going north, left on boone, onto Pettet Road and it turns into this road eventually at a fork. It's a really nice road.

I saw you drive past my house about 10 minutes ago. Kind of funny. Did you see a White short bus parked on 4th ave?

It was good to meet you man, it's really interesting how similar these cars are and how different.
Still jealous that yours has a body left and a front valance and spoiler that I didn't take. :D

I'm actually really excited to get both of our cars out, when mine's got the fuel tank rust/ fuel filter issue settled and see how they compare up side by side. Mine wasn't bad though when it wasn't choking. The difference in the gearing will definitely be interesting because we both have good motors. Yours would probably take off better than mine, with the low gearing and all, despite mine having a higher top speed. How this relates going within the 30-60MPH range will be interesting though if we go head to head some time.

It's just good to find somebody who not only is into Subarus, but, is into racing them, and essentially owns my exact car.
Even if I tried to buy that car. x.x;;

Had I bought that one, I was going to autocross the tan one you saw today and baby the white one you have to death. I guess they'll both be racing now though, meeting you, I feel much less resentful and angry about that car. You have relieved me from hatred and anger. This is good.

Edited by Bekokatt

That's the original hood I was telling you about that got rocked by a deer, and then rocked by flipping up on the freeway, and then rocked by me hitting it to drive home.

It's refusing to upload the picture of a destroyed Subaru. I guess it'd be blasphemy on this forum, I only have one photo of the messed up front end. So, this is when I replaced it. post-50516-0-99464300-1394589593_thumb.jpg

Anyway, I'll toss in a couple project photos.

Missing rear quarter panel: post-50516-0-36453100-1394589702_thumb.jpg

I had already removed the original cracked windshield with a hammer when I realized one from a wagon doesn't fit properly. post-50516-0-99993200-1394589792_thumb.jpg

And these are the speakers that didn't fit in the doors. Or not that photo won't upload either. Was it blashemy too?

One thing I did notice is that the car is light. Very light. Light enough to get thrown around a good deal in the slush. Worth noting, though, that I haven't yet been in conditions that I couldn't control it in.

I rather like it; the body style isn't one you see a lot of. Fake RX or not, it's a great car.

I like the ea82, but would an EJ22 swap be a bad idea?

Ej22 would drop you in a prepared class for autocross

Where you wouldn't be the least bit competitive. Altho I don't think you'd be that much better off in h stock. I could be wrong. As I don't know the cars that run that class