Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Things to do before dropping in a 2.2

OK so I have my 2.2 to put in my 96 outback, we are going to put new crank and cam seals in it, new belts and plugs, With 122k should I adjust the valves while it`s out? and what should they be set at? also what should the flex plate and torque converter be torqued at. I would appreciate any advise as I only want to do this one time. Are there any other seals or gaskets that should be replaced? The plan is to do the swap this weekend. Thank you all so much for all the advice I have been given over the last couple of weeks.  May God Bless you all!!

the rear separator plate is only accessable with the motor separted from the transmission - do it while you have access!

in the following picture it is on the right hand side - the one in the pic is one of the early cast alloy versions...

1048ej22rearseal.jpg

- make sure the plate on your motor is metal - if it is plastic, get a metal one, and new screws for it.

Pull the Oil Pump and clean the locktite the screw threads.  Leave on in and do the rest, then pull the one and do it.

New Oil pump to block seal.  You might also want to do the water pump.  

Junk yard engine or a known good engine?