Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1990 wont start after driven

I have a 1990 subaru loyale 4 door coupe non turbo. Ive been having issues with it not starting after druving it for abit. If i drive more then 15 miles (give or take) then turn off the engine, it will not start back up (but will turn over)for 20 mins to a hour sometimes longer. I checked all grounds and cleaned them, new coil, sparkplugs, alternator. I have a sticking starter but im replacing it this weekend. When i first start the car like in the morning or after work it starts right up. Im at a loss here.

hi,

first thing i suspect is the signal from the coolent temp sensor (cts)  sometimes the sensor is bad , sometimes it's just the connection has got corroded and that gives a false,  or no signal at all.    this sensor is the main thing that tells the FI system the engine temp so it can send the proper fuel mixture (controls the signal to the injector).  go over all the hoses and air intake boot looking for anything cracked or loose that can  cause vacuum leaks,  there are 2 little solinoids mounted on the intake manifold that have small hoses to them, the nipple connections are known to break off very often and that can be a vac leak.  they usually look connected but may be actually broken off, check closely .

sometimes  a  coil can  not function when hot,  also that trasnsister that is mounted to the coil bracket might give trouble when hot.  that gives you at least a couple of places to check.

• Like 1

I have a 1990 subaru loyale 4 door coupe non turbo. Ive been having issues with it not starting after druving it for abit. If i drive more then 15 miles (give or take) then turn off the engine, it will not start back up (but will turn over)for 20 mins to a hour sometimes longer. I checked all grounds and cleaned them, new coil, sparkplugs, alternator. I have a sticking starter but im replacing it this weekend. When i first start the car like in the morning or after work it starts right up. Im at a loss here.

Have you tried turning it off, removing the key for 30 seconds, and trying to turn it back on again?