Ultimate Subaru Message Board

BlackBoot

hi,

welcome in, i really like these.   as for the belts,  the job and process is done escentially the same,, same flywheel marks, same cam alignment straight up -straight down,   all that is similar.  the cam pulleys are real steel not stamped , the belts are a bit wider, the tensioners are similar but not alike the ea82.  the one main difference is  the  left side tensioner setup,  it is a piviot mounted roller and there is a plunger that pushes on it to acheve tension.  it is called the hydrolic tensioner, in fact it has no hydrolic function at all, it is a wound spring on a threaded plunger inside, if the belt sees slack, the spring unwinds the plunger which pushes on the tension pully piviot.   the hard part is that you have to wind up the tensioner and keep it wound while you install it, there is a tool and several trick methods to acheve this.  then after all is in place ,, release the tensioner and its automatic.  only thing is to make sure all the parts move freely, the piviot needs to be checked , and lubed, and all the pulley bearings  good,  same as you would an ea-82. 

double check the alignment by doing a rotation and recheck it all , and done.

• 2 months later...

today I finished the timing belt and got it running, took a spin around the block a couple of times. The Cybrid steering is great.

rusty breaks and one warped rotor.

the relays for the fans are all screwed up and I cant find a manual anywhere?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dang! that passenger side fender is hell to take off! stupid snorkel and washer fluid tank in the way. much different than a Loyale, the XT has no room for tools except for a box wrench 1/8th of a turn at a time, ugh! and I have a Milwaukee cordless power ratchet and can't get it in there...got fed up with one bolt and got out the chisel and a BFH!

Mission accomplished. putting it back on, not so bad, learning curve.

Edited by BlackBoot