Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea81-ea82 swap

I'm a newbie. I have a 1985 GL wagon 5 speed with ea82. I also have a 1984 wagon with ea81. It's pretty trashed but motor seems decent with 179,000. I'm thinking about buying 1987 wagon with blown motor, automatic but no rust. I don't know what motor it has.

Can I put the ea81 in the 1985 and the ea82 in the 1987? I'd like to be able to use clutch from ea82 on ea81, as it's new.

And I'd like to put weber on ea 81. Is it best to get a different manifold? I think I read on here it is best to use ea82 manifold on ea81 with weber. Is that correct?

Appreciate any advice.

the intakes bolt up the same, but are different. youll be modifying distys as well with this swap. do some searching, its been covered lots. one more thing, 87 is a funky year wiring wise...they crossed over from carbies to FI that year. anything that has electrical components should really come from another 87. Im sure someone else can be more specific, but the info is out there if you have a google app on your computational device

• Like 1

As long as the 85' was a carb engine it will work just fine, you'll have to use the coil from the 84' and move it to the mounting holes on the passinger side. If the 85' has power steering then you'll ether have to find a power steering pump for the EA81 or make a new mount for it. There is a write up in the section on engines on what fits what. Also do a search for EA81 swaps. BTDT.

Ed

this thread has also sparked my interest as i am interested if you can actually gain any performance by using an ea82 intake on an ea81.

also if you get that ea81 on a 5 speed you will have a combo i have been looking for for a long time. i have never  owned an ea82 and i can see alot of mixed emotions about it here. like any engine ever made..if you take care of it ..it will take care of you.  but for me the ea81 is superior cuz that  seems to be a whole lot of mess for such a small increase in horsepower and the ea81 is practically bulletproof. i say go for it and keep us posted.

EA81 engine in to replace an EA82 is a retrograde step pollution control wise and may not be accepted by authorities.

When I fitted EA82 engine into MY EA81 Brumby the engine mounts are stressed as the angle is not the same, so I would expect EA81 engine mounts on an EA82 engine crossmember to be equally stressed the opposite direction.

Lower radiator hoses will not be same and need some matching, cut, join work. Both are 30mm ID

An EA81 radiator is likely gonna be too tall to use in EA82 body.

Use an EA82 flywheel on the back of an EA81 crank ? I guess they will line up - anyone confirm ?

If I can use a 740mm long coil lead to use an EA82 in an EA81 Brumby body, you can use a long coil lead to avoid moving the coil if run an EA81 engine in an EA82 body

Edited by jono

To answer Jono's question the bolt patern is the same, however the EA82 uses larger bolts, plus you would have to transfer the timing marks from the EA81. You would be better off getting the EA81 4x4 flywheel and pressure plate and using the EA82 clutch disc. The motor mounts will work just fine. As for the radiator, the mounts are differant but it can be made to fit. I'll find the pictures of the wifes car, EA81 into a 87' EA82 GL, 3AT,PS, PB. The reason for changing intakes is the larger carb mounting. Subaru made cars here in the US till 87 with the EA81 "IIRC", and where I live I don't have to worry about DEQ.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/105325-engine-swap-info/

Ed

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/gallery/image/2710-ea81alt003/

Edited by Uncle Ed

I am learning a lot! Thanks for all the advice. I am going to move forward with ea81 in the '85 this weekend. I'm going to leave ea81 flywheel on and use clutch out of ea82 (it's pretty new), use radiator and coil from ea81, and manifold from ea82. I see where I'll have to extend wire to coil.

I'm going to bite the bullet and order a weber carb. Is the redline kit the way to go?

I am not very clear about distributor modifications with intake manifold swap, but will figure it out when I get there.

Thanks for all the good advice.

I would check e-bay first for a weber or craigslist even scrap yards if you are lucky.  webers are tough and used ones are just as good as new ones. the only thing to worry about with a used one is to check the butterfly throttle assembly for too much play, the accelerator pump diafragm on the outside and power valve diaphragm inside the bowl hanging upside down when you lift the top off. also sit it on a flat surface and check if anyone has over torqued the base plate. if so you can sand it flat again. the weber new is gonna cost around 250-300 depending on where you find it. I was lucky enough to find one on craigslist for 20 bones and the other at a yard sale in arizona for 10 bones.

dont forget when it comes to five speeds behind an EA 81 the real issue is the sleeve the throwout bearing slides on is bigger in the five speed requiring some ingenuity such as an Isuzu Trooper or some nissan throwout bearing the problem being the two clutch pressure plates differ in one very important aspect the centre hole size of the diaphragm spring is different, That means you really need to match all the components or machine an EA 81 flywheel to suit a full EA82 clutch assembly including the throwout bearing and carrier they do not interchange end of story.

I just got both motors pulled. I will look at this bearing/flywheel situation.

Sounds like I could use ea82 flywheel and transfer timing marks?

Or machine ea81 flywheel to accept larger bearing?

And I will solve problem?

If you install the EA82 flywheel and clutch on to the EA81 engine and use the EA82 5-speed trans behind it, you are good to go. No issues with any of the components not matching.

Use of the EA82 flywheel on the EA81 engine moves the ignition timing marks by 6*. 0* TDC on the EA81 engine will read as 6* BTDC on the EA82 flywheel.

Use of the EA82 carbed intake under a Weber carb just lets the engine respond better to throttle input due to the larger opening it has over the EA81 intake.

I've done a few EA81 engines with the EA82 flywheel, both manual and auto trans. Ran both a Weber and the SPFI on them.

Info above is what I have found doing those swaps.

• Like 1

Use EA82 water pump and tube on the EA81 will allow you to use the stock radiator hoses for the car.

I tried this on my hatch yesterday, the snout was too long and the pulleys didnt line up :huh: . I ended up using Gates hose # 21029 and installed my ea82t radiator on my hatch...after I re did the wp lol /hijack

I'm still plugging away on this swap. Heads are still at machine shop. A mechanic buddy of mine is adamant I should re-ring pistons while I've got the e81 out and tore down. Given the carbon on pistons he thinks rings are bad. Question: can I drop crank and pull pistons without splitting case?

I tried this on my hatch yesterday, the snout was too long and the pulleys didnt line up :huh: . I ended up using Gates hose # 21029 and installed my ea82t radiator on my hatch...after I re did the wp lol /hijack

Hmm......I know it's been done.

If youre looking at the engine from the front one is to the left (passenger) of the harmonic balancer. one is under the water pump. the remaining (rear) two are behind your flywheel. 

Oops. I'm internet illiterate. Can you elaborate on these Allen plugs?

Hmm......I know it's been done.

im thinking it would work the other way around or with some awkward configuration of parts I didnt try yet.