Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cruise control install, does anyone have a diagram?

With Disco's permission, I'd like to jack this thread. (Now that I've got your attention.) I really would appreciate your help!

Gloyale -I assume there was a tail in your harness that went to the main switch that is (next to your defrost button?)on the dash? -I am not finding this.

I have been under the dash for a while trying to pin out this harness...I can tell you voltage variances at each wire and which switch affects it, but alas, I am not cruising. :( Let me know if you see anything weird-

Here are some pics: 

1)under hood setup 2)stalk switch 3)control box 4)harness 5)clutch 6)pedals -brake light switch is far right

post-33119-0-23886400-1397094784_thumb.jpg

post-33119-0-05470000-1397094804_thumb.jpg

post-33119-0-76474500-1397094822_thumb.jpg

post-33119-0-30729400-1397094841_thumb.jpg

post-33119-0-28557800-1397094863_thumb.jpg

post-33119-0-95131700-1397094876_thumb.jpg

Nah man go for it, like I said as much as I searched all the cruise threads were dead ends and bits and pieces of good info and different styles but nothing extensive, might as well cover what we can here:).

It does look like a dealer add on though, looks like the stalk might be the exact same thing as the button set up for my wheel!

I will give mine a look over tomorrow or Friday my lady is getting a bit jealous......yea I know but I have been geeking out pretty hard on the Suby lately:)

Edited by Discombobulated

You have no accelerate switch on yours, and there is no dash button, just the steering wheel control shown? Was there a tail for the dash switch in your harness?

My stalk control has set, accel, coast. It is sort of heat shrinked on the turn signal. A friend's car has the exact same setup as mine -it's an '86.

Yes, a 3 wire plug going to the cruise switch on the dash and the plug that links to the wheel buttons, just noticed the shrink tubing that's different:) I have also seen the cruise on the actual dash too I believe. So looks to be 3 different systems but really I would imagine identical as far as wiring goes..

Still no luck with this. Wish I had another complete working unit so I could "Troubleshoot" (part swap)as the FSM describes :P Pinning out the harness is just confusing w/o knowing what is what. All the stalk switches 'seem' operative, there is power in the harness, brake and clutch switches functioning,low voltage at the vac switch, all tubing intact. Maybe i need a vacuum pump to test the system or can I put a vac gauge in line somewhere to test?

Any yards near you to swoop up a system? The problem I see testing it is always you need to be driving to do it:) I don't quite understand how the vss knows that I'm going over 25 with a mechanical speedo but maybe that's something in the cluster doing its thing? I was wondering what your plug going to the stalk looked like, so on mine I have a flat 3 wire plug going to the switch on the left of the cluster and then for the steering wheel buttons it is factory wiring through the wheel and has a plug sticking out of the harness the cruise harness plugged into, so 2 separate spots on mine is kinda 1 spot on yours going to the stalk, right?

And I don't think I asked or I missed it but is your tach wire hooked up to the coil?

My stalk switch has a 4 wire harness red, yellow, blue, white. It is the white plug in pic 4. That part is just routed up the steering wheel and heat shrinked to the turn signal stalk, switch stuck on the end. The black & yellow wire plug you pictured is in the background. The yellow wire breaking out ahead of that is going to the coil -. From what I can tell, this harness is completely isolated except for the brake light breakout. Hard to tell if that wire is connecting the tach to the coil directly or if it is a feedback system routed thru the vss without stripping the harness(not inclined to). Looking for some kind of test for tach signal to vss when parked.

[but I'd rather be driving.] -_-

Hmmm, my wire was a separate yellow with white stripe(I think white stripe) ran out to the bay and had an open ended hook connector to mount directly to the coil negative side, definitely didn't do squat without it. Ahh I see the wiring going to the wheel now so I take it mine has 5 total wires just to ground the switch for the cruise light to light up.

Weird the tach set up is different though but I would imagine there is a - coil wire somewhere I could tap into like the cluster but it was made to go to the coil so that's where I put it. So indeed we have some differences in the harness but all the set ups I have seen at the yard all went to the tach, hmmm might be another thing to verify I guess:)

Well poop, you need cruise!!!:) Now it's a quest!!!!

Yes, the wire is yellow/white to the coil-. The harness I have is 14 pin. Here is what I have so far:

The 4 in the pic here from the right are Y,Brown, B/R, W/R -to the vac switch; then there are G/R-power; Y, and Y/B, Y/W - the latter 2 react to the switch,(I think this group(yellows) is the tach send/return(?)) the G/Y pair next to that are brake switch, G/Black,(?),W & B -Switch, Black -Ground

I have my 'guesses' in parenthesis.

The tach connection is different from the coil connection? Can you describe the tach connection, or are we talking about the same thing? 

post-33119-0-35881600-1397251611_thumb.jpg

No same thing, I just say tach wire because the brain labels it as tach overspeed... But your harness pin outs are definitely different but I would imagine internally and color coded the same, looks that way anyway. I am getting under my dash tomorrow finally and I will snap some pics of my harness and other stuff:)

Thanks -I'll keep scratchin' my head :) It seems functional, something's just a little off...working under the dash is no fun.

A pic of your harness plug wiring would be helpful to go with the sketch.

Edited by rrgrr

That last picture of the vacuum for cruise control.

Where is the hose with the red clamp going into?

One is the Vac supply from the engine.......the other is vac "output" to the diaphragm mounted at the gas pedal.

There should also be a large round black plastic canister/resevior "T"d into the supply line.....I don't see it mounted there?

I was told that black ball thing wasent used for turbo models because thats pretty much where the turbo is, it would melt.
where would that be for turbo models?

There is supposed to be a Check valve and an extra resevior to work in
the turbo models......Although....the extra canister is bulky, close to
the turbo.....so it get's ditched.

Edited by elgigante

I Am Cruising!   :banana:

Strangest thing...or not -I don't know but I think I am smarter now. Put my dash back together since I wasn't really getting anywhere parked, (no pun intended) Went for a drive to play with it -nothing. So I tried the horn to check the fuse -instead of the horn the seat belt light lit! Hazard light made the sb light go on, too, no hazards, weird. Don't know if that is by design, but I put a good fuse in and all is normal there.

There is something odd about this dealer hookup, not having a master switch, and I got a clue when trying to pin out the harness, -(I won't go into it) after thinking my switch was shorting,or whatever else, trying every combination, I decided it has to do with the sequence of switching: The Set switch will Not set cruise if the last switch used was Coast. I was able to consistently play with set, acc, coast, acc, etc, as long as I did not go back to set after coast -had to flip it to acc first -not long enough to accelerate, just to reset the system somehow. 

Anyhow, cruisin' is the shizz! :clap: Thanks for the help and hope this gets others cruising, as well.

I Am Cruising!   :banana:

Strangest thing...or not -I don't know but I think I am smarter now. Put my dash back together since I wasn't really getting anywhere parked, (no pun intended) Went for a drive to play with it -nothing. So I tried the horn to check the fuse -instead of the horn the seat belt light lit! Hazard light made the sb light go on, too, no hazards, weird. Don't know if that is by design, but I put a good fuse in and all is normal there.

There is something odd about this dealer hookup, not having a master switch, and I got a clue when trying to pin out the harness, -(I won't go into it) after thinking my switch was shorting,or whatever else, trying every combination, I decided it has to do with the sequence of switching: The Set switch will Not set cruise if the last switch used was Coast. I was able to consistently play with set, acc, coast, acc, etc, as long as I did not go back to set after coast -had to flip it to acc first -not long enough to accelerate, just to reset the system somehow. 

Anyhow, cruisin' is the shizz! :clap: Thanks for the help and hope this gets others cruising, as well.

I was told that black ball thing wasent used for turbo models because thats pretty much where the turbo is, it would melt.

where would that be for turbo models?

I bought a turbo model that had it and the big plastic ball had caught fire and melted all the wiring on that side.

Seemed to be dealer installed system.

Many if not most Turbos were GL-10s......which had the "built in" system from the factory with electric pump so no canister.  But in 88/89 they made some regular GLs w/turbo and it's one of those I had the big ball catch fire.

Edited by Gloyale