Ultimate Subaru Message Board

For sale: 1979 GL Wagon 4WD Instrument Cluster - MINT!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just an fyi. I bought this from him after he posted it. I've been using it for a while now and ever since I installed it the odometer doesn't really work. Everything else does just fine though. NOW his user name starts to make a bit more sense to me. 1 post (to sell his "mint" cluster), with a username of "brokenodo", short for "broken odometer" I assume. Would have been nice if it wasn't broken, but oh well. 

• 2 weeks later...

That's kinda funny, I missed the user name.  Sorry about your purchase spicy, but if you can install the cluster you can take it apart too.  Not too hard, just take a peak inside and see whats going on.  Maybe a stripped gear, but more likely it just fell apart and can be reassembled.

That's kinda funny, I missed the user name.  Sorry about your purchase spicy, but if you can install the cluster you can take it apart too.  Not too hard, just take a peak inside and see whats going on.  Maybe a stripped gear, but more likely it just fell apart and can be reassembled.

Thanks, I thought maybe I did something at first to break it. Would you happen to have any resources (links, pics, etc) to see what I should be watching out for?

• 3 weeks later...

I swapped the entire odometer/speedometer module from a 120mph non-tach cluster to one of these tach clusters and the only issue was moving the trip meter reset hardware over (3 screws for it), so you might just be able to recover your previous odometer. You could even take apart the speedo module and replace whatever gear is broken on the odometer drivetrain.