Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello everyone, I recently bought a 97 impreza outback with 210k on the body and a freshly rebuilt engine from a 94 legacy.  The key has been stuck in the ignition for the past week which wasnt an issue until I left the lights on and drained the battery enough so it wouldnt start.  After finding someone with jumper cables and hooking the car up, he put his leads on backwards and my fusible link fried out.  I cant really find any information on a fusible link online but my main question is what the amperage of the fusible link for a 97 impreza outback sport? Just want to go to the auto parts store knowing what I need.  Parts Ive found online arent what is in the car. 

I did a quick fix with a 16 gauge wire that is 1.3 mm and has a load capacity of 15 amps.  Car runs fine until the oem piece comes in the mail.  Only concern at the moment is how hot the wire gets.  So for now I drove the car to a friends house where its safe, and didnt have any problems, but dont want to drive it until the correct piece is back in. 

• 1 year later...

If the wire gets HOT with engine idling, it's too thin for the current going through it, or in the case of older links, they are breaking apart.

I went to AZ and bought a section of generic fusible link. Far as I can tell, it's copper wiring. I tried matching the silicone sleeving size to mine, and it too got hot. So I went back and got the immediate size up, and it doesn't get hot. Been a little over a year since that went in and all is OK.

If yours gets too hot, it could start a fire. My factory link seemed to have gotten corrosion in it, or the casing cracked near the middle and that allowed corrosion. Near the end, the wire was brittle and arcing internally during cranking. This caused a slight deforming of the plastic underside of the fuse box lid along with smoking marks. Had the car continued to run, it could have caused a fire.

Either put a next size wire in there until the replacement comes, or double up your wiring. It should NOT get hot.