Ultimate Subaru Message Board

84 GL 4x4

A_GL_er_no

We found the car high up in the Rocky Mountains outside of Ft. Collins, CO.  We're from Wisconsin, so we'll be driving it back.

I'm a VW guy, and my friend is a Honda guy.  We both thought this car is really cool, and we wanted to learn more about these old Subarus.  Plus, we paid $480 for it.  :)

I'll get some more pictures and an update once we've gotten it back to WI.

It seemed that way. Then I drove it home and found the missing gears. :)

That is amazing! I really was gearing up to get it haha, I though no one is going to buy that thing if its tranny is bad and wait and offer him $300. Since you're heading back to Wisconsin, how did you hear about it? I live in Cheyenne which is an hour north of Foco so im always on that craigslist lurking around like a creep!

Thanks everyone!  We made it back safe, and the car ran great!

That is amazing! I really was gearing up to get it haha, I though no one is going to buy that thing if its tranny is bad and wait and offer him $300. Since you're heading back to Wisconsin, how did you hear about it? I live in Cheyenne which is an hour north of Foco so im always on that craigslist lurking around like a creep!

They didn't really know what was wrong with it, it was just an old car that was sitting around.  The shifter ball joint thing is totally worn out, which makes it really hard to find any gears.  We are looking into moving to Fort Collins, and were in town checking out some neighborhoods.  We couldn't help but craigslist binge, and we honestly got really lucky.

Nice! How was the trip back? I'd love to hitchhike out west and drive one back.

The trip back was a breeze.  The more the car gets driven, the more it comes back to life.  It was used to haul firewood up and down a mountain for years, so an "Italian tuneup" has done it wonders.  It shifts much easier, and got better mileage every tank.  Again, we are very lucky.  Third gear is still a bit elusive, but my co-owner is taking a community college class on rebuilding manual transmissions this semester, so he has the perfect project for class!

I've done this sort of car recovery before.  I bought an '85 VW Quantum in Virginia for $600 and drove it back to Wisconsin (14 hours each way), and I also picked up an '83 Quantum Coupe in Ohio for $700 and made it home.  All these cars were on craigslist forever, and I finally gave in and made the leap of faith.  Fun stuff!

More updates and pictures soon.  Thanks everyone!

WANT!!! I had one that we bought in the '80s with about 30k miles on it. It went to 210k miles on the original engine, transmission and clutch before I was begrudgingly convinced to get rid of it for something "safer". I've regretted it ever since! Nice score  :)

An italian tune up? I've never heard of such a thing, what is that? Haha

It's where you have a car that runs, but not great, so you take it on the highway at 75mph for 14 hours, and blast all the carbon deposits and gunk out of the entire engine. ;)

We changed the engine oil and filter before we left CO, along with the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor.  We also ran fuel injector cleaner through a few tanks on the way back.  It runs much smoother now.