Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 gl signal relay location

My turn signals and flashers don't work. Once in a great while the turn signal will blink once & stop. I've checked the fuses and tried to locate the relay, but I'm getting no where. Does anyone know where the relay is located & if they are both on the same relay or separate?  I found 4 relays on the left side of the steering column, on a plate, each having 4 wires, but the relay that the auto parts store says it takes has 3 wires. My manuals are vague.Please help, it's driving me nuts!

• 4 weeks later...

I still can't find the darned thing; I don't know if I'm looking for a black rectangle or silver relay. I removed the bracket that holds the four silver relays to see better under the dash, but nothing. There is a small rectangle black box that has six wires going to it, between the fire wall and the fuse box, bolted adjacent to the firewall. I hate hand signals, especially during the spring neverending rains. Any other help would be great.

The thing with 6 wires is the Fuel Pump control relay.

The other 4 are Blower, Defrost, and Left and Right headlights.

The flasher unit should be ontop of the steering column IIRC?  Round and I think only 2 wire. 2 spades right angle to eachother.

Thanks, for the info. As far as the relay, I still can't find it. I don't have any idea where to look, now. I could tell you how frustrated this is making me, but I know you've all been there. If this wasn't such a great running little car, I'd give up! Anybody, any other ideas. HELPPPPPPPPPP!

It is attached to the same bracket to the left of the steering column that you see the four round relays mounted on, on top of it. You'll have to unbolt the relays bracket (and, AFAIK, a related bracket that retains the main dash harness) to more easily replace it. You need to be a contortionist, or employ a moderately smart, small child in order to remove it.

I can post a picture of the assembly if you need me to, my dash is completely broken down to components ATM.

My description is for the EA82, it is not built into the column on the 3rd gens. If it's an EA81, I have no clue, but I seriously doubt the relay is in the column on those either; there isn't really any room inside the column for a relay.

Edited by SmashedGlass

Now would be a good time to upgrade to the Bosch relays... beings your dash is apart.  Some soldering required.  I think Jesek had a writeup on the process.

My '85 wagon is a little different... I don't have the concrete mounting block.   Nice pic of the relay location.  Very helpful for everyone.

Thank you, sir.

Thanks to everyone. It's an EA82 and it's not on the steering column. Thanks for the pic. As soon as it stops raining I'll go out and see if I can find it. I've pulled the bracket off so I could see better under the dash, but there was nothing else connected to it, but I'll check around the area. Thanks for the help; I'll keep you posted, or keep whining and begging; whatever seems appropriate after I check again. I agree with rdweninger about the concrete mounting block, It would be much easier to locate.

Just a quick tip for Buzz....   take the driver seat out... it's only 4 bolts.   Then you can lay on your back with feet propped up on the back seat.  This makes it ALOT easier to get under the dash... both your eyes and your hands.   Seriously... it's the only way for us old guys to get in there.

Before you put the seat back in... lube up the rails and bolt threads.

Where is Granite Falls?

• Like 1

Good idea, about taking the seat out. I've layed upside down and twist-o-flexed for so many years, it doesn't occur to me to remove the seat.I do notice a tighter fit, these days. My cars must be shrinking. :mellow:  Granite Falls is about 60 miles northeast of Seattle, at the Cascade foothills.