Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Does anyone knows if a unisia jecs ecu of the 2005 impreza ts model 1.6l (N/A, with cable throttle) can be reprogrammed with ecutek tools or if is it reprogrammable at all? Because my tuner told me its possible but everybody else says the opposite..... this is a pic of the ecu chip post-50880-0-89959300-1395413179_thumb.jpg

Just out of curiousoty, is there much to get out from a 1.6, i thought the 95 HP (EU) was quite the max.

well rverdoold the local dealer had that model fitted with a turbocharger with modified wastegate actuator (cut open and welded again :-o ),  front or top mount i/c, closed circuit bov, a louder exhaust, a parallel ecu to handle fuel management because of the turbo and a..."s turbo" sticker!post-50880-0-21344900-1395427461_thumb.jpg

They gave two options 150hp and 180hp. I searched for a used 150hp model because the 180hp ones broke down more often, and its logical since no fuel and oil pumps were changed and no forged pistons were fitted (current compression ratio 10:1 )... mine can handle 0.4bar and after that the parralel ecu cuts fuel... thankfully!!

I suppose they did what they did because of tax issues since here (Greece), till now, the higher displacement the more taxes you pay and not by the hp as in Germany, so it looked like a good thought, but they didn't do it right. The reason i asked info for the n/a model was to avoid confusion because TS is known as a N/A impreza to the rest of the market...

Edited by M@nos_krt

Interesting, but why they were never offered in Holland (road tax by weight and fuel type) is still  a mistery to me. I thought the basic 1.6 block is downsized 2.2 and shares the same baseblock as the 1.8 with longer pistons. That is why 1.6 are prone for cold piston slapping, but no worries i have seen many of those exceed the 300k km mark without any issue.

Well, the turbo makes the car more torquey but the truth is that the real party starts from the 2.0l and above!!! Its a mediocre and not a very reliable solution and thats why only the local dealer did it...But it made many people mad and frustrated, especially the 180hp version, because the engine was intended for N/A from SUBARU. In the next months or years  I'm thinking either to install forged pistons with shorter rods or wrx engine swap which is the best alternative. For now respect (low boost, proper engine warming an cooling before turning off ) and proper maintenance will keep the car and me happy for many miles (or kilometres as we use here! :) )