Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm buying an 02 Legacy Wagon from my boss tomorrow. I'm a newer tech (oil chances, tires, small repairs) and I have a few questions.

I'm buying the car from my manager who is a former Ford master tach who buys cars, repairs them and sells them for a profit. He has too many cars right now so he told me he'd sell me the Subaru cheap ($500). It has 128k miles, the body is in decent shape, has a brand new cluth (less that 1k miles), but the hook is it needs Head gaskets. I plan on doing it in my garage. I was hoping for some tips on doing this. I plan on doing the water pump and timing belt while I'm in there as well.

Question 1:

I'm on a budget going to tech school and working part time, Where's the best place to get parts? (I can usually get parts at a slight discount through NAPA at work). Should I use that or order parts online? Any recommended brands to look for and/or stay away from?

Question 2:

About how many hours (on average am I looking for at this job?

Thanks in advance for any help

How bad are the head gaskets leaking?? On a 2002, they always leak externally, and leak coolant outside the engine. It is a common problem. You can drive a long time with this condition, just be sure to keep adding coolant, and don't let the car run low on coolant and over heat. Subaru dealership offers a "coolant conditioner", which is basically a "stop leak" product to be added to the cooling system. It may not stop a coolant leak, but will substantially reduce the leak. It is something that I would try using first.

If the problem is bad enough, that the head gaskets must be replaced, then highly recommend using Subaru OEM head gaskets. The Subaru gaskets work well, after market head gaskets from NAPA may or may not work well.

A $500 Subaru is a great bargain, if it runs pretty well. Have fun with your new car.

Be sure to ask for more advise here, if you have questions............everyone here is eager to help others.

• Like 1

My 2001 Outback Wagon leaks both oil and coolant. It's really more of a seeping than leak.

What exactly is leaking on yours?

If it's coolant, I'd confirm that the Subaru coolant conditioner (stop leak) is in the system. If you don't know, I'd do a flush and put new coolant and the conditioner in and see what happens.

Oil can be leaking from several different places like cam seals, oil pump seals and valve covers, but there is a known seeping oil issue with the head gaskets that mine has been doing for several years now. It's slow so if you check your levels regularly it shouldn't be a problem.

Also the timing belt maintainece is 10 years or 105,000 miles. You should confirm it was done.

I've been talking to a few guys and they've told me the engine NEEDS to be pulled to do the job. Any opinions on this? I figure it'd be easier to do it that way but I don't have access to one, nor do I really want to spend the money to rent one.

From what I have heard, it is easier to replace head gaskets with the engine removed, but it is quite a bit of work pulling out the engine.

I had a Subie tech, who moon lights on his own, replace the HGs on my 99 OBW. I wasn't around to see him do the job, but know for sure, he did not pull the motor out. I think he may have loosened up the engine mounts one side at a time, then jacked up the side he wanted to work on. This, I feel gave him extra work room to replace the HGs. I can email him for details, if you like, and report back. Suggest you start a new topic on this forum, asking the question of "should the motor be pulled" to replace the HGs. You should be able to get a good answer.