Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stripped Threads on Exhaust Bracket/ (Engine Block?)

So, while trying to replace old worn gaskets between my exhaust pipe flanges and the outtake on my EA81 (1983 BRAT) everything went fine except for one post won't tighten all the way anymore. I cut out new gaskets on my own, but because of that one post that won't tighten, I don't have a good seal (the car's way loud now ha ha). Are the threads in this hole on the bracket or are they on the actual engine block? (do these holes even go all the way into the engine block and not just the bracket?) 

I need to know so that I can decide whether it's better to buy the brackets off of somebody or to just do a helicoil and rethread the hole. What do you guys think?

I actually cut threads into the steal flange and put in a short bolt w/ larger dia. as a temporary fix since the flange was tight against the head already. It only worked because 1 hole was still good and firmly attached to the head. When my son was ready to overhaul the engine, I did the correct fix and put heli-coils in the heads in the damaged holes.

• 4 months later...

I ended up taking the brackets (or spacers or whatever you want to call them) off. I broke about three bolt heads in the process though after having to cut part of the spacers first so I could fit a socket on the bolts instead trying to wrestle with star drivers. When I got the sockets on (after having soaked the bolts in PB Blaster and heating them up with a torch) the bolt heads twisted right off leaving the rest in the holes in the engine. So I decided to forego the spacers and ended up extending my exhaust pipe to meet directly with the engine.