Ultimate Subaru Message Board

CV nut coming loose

My CV axle nut on my 85 brat constantly comes loose on the front driver side wheel and makes my brakes grind when I press on them. I have a cotter pin it, its the one that came with them when i purchased the axles.

I have no clue whats causing it to come loose or how to fix it. It comes loose every few days. Anybody know why or how i can solve this problem?

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/118112-axle-nut-failure-point-reachedat-45mphhelp/?hl=%2Baxle+%2Bcoming+%2Bloose

This thread seems to be close to same symptoms of what mines doing, except for the shearing and other fun stuff. i just need this to keep me going for a few more weeks until i can get my other brat running.

Make sure the flat washer is on correctly, as it is actially a spring washer with a slight dome curvature, with the dome side against the nut. of the cone washer has a lip worn onto the edge of it, it should be replaced. good luck

Edited by MilesFox

if the cone washer has a lip worn onto the edge of it, it should be replaced. good luck

Or at least file the lip off.

If that washer can't compress into the hub it won't lock down onto the axle.

It would also be good to check the condition of the splines in the hub, and on the axle.....if the splines are pointed at the top....they are worn....each spline should have a flat spot on the high part of the ridge.

Ok so i ended up getting new washers and a new nut. i was pretty close to the torque specs without using a torque wrench. I pull the nut off today and check everything and there was a lip on the cone washer. I just replaced everything and used my friends torque wrench to set to 145 ft-lbs. ill have to wait a few days and see. ill try to keep this updated