Ultimate Subaru Message Board

FYI: For off-roaders

soobme

I'm doing the "Tansfercase mod" (as some of U know) and I got a compleat '81 Datsun 720 4x4 PU. The rear axle is within 1" of the width of the stock Subaru suspension (EA81) I had planed on doing a strait axle swap any way, but that was icing on the cake :D

The '80-'82 720 4x4's have the R180 front dif, and the H190 rear (I'm told the -H- is for Hitachi :brow: ), in 4.375:1!!!!!!! So now I will have KILLER gearing :clap::clap:

So with this new gearing,.........what will your crawl ratio be?

Also, I assume your swapping the rear axle for the Datsun, are you also swapping out the front suspension?

Show us pictures as you go!

Keep going,

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

Yes, I plan to take many pics ;) I'm using the R180 front dif for my front, the H190 (solid axle) for the rear, I am building my oun front strut bodies (found a cartrige with 9" of travel :D ) and using dodge "screw in" ball joints for the upper mount (no rubber uper mount to tear out :brow: ) and they will use 2.5"ID coil-over springs (14") I will be able to adjust the front ridehigth to what ever I need, should get 10" of wheel travel, and they will be 3X stronger than stock struts! I will be making lower -A- arms with hime joints.

What are ya gonna use for front axles? How do you plan to get all the travel out of them. (enquiring minds wanna know.) Sounds cool so far Tony.WCSS6 is gonna be a pretty cool place to be for those who like/love monster soobs. Holy Cow.

CR will be 48.2:1, (1st=3.636, S.T.C.=1.462, D.T.C,=2.07, R&P=4.375) will work better than it sounds ;)

I'm gona use EA82 shafts(longer) and do just a little machine work to the DOJ (to get a little more travel) housing. I can put the Subaru R160 stubs in the R180 so they will fit right up :)