Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Possible to convert all running lights to LED?

crossed wire on the turn signal\brake power lead into the park lights

Maybe he is refering to the common mistake of placing a Single Contact 1156 Bulb, in the place for a Dual Contact Bulb; in that case, this exact issue will Happens:

... touch the brake pedal, ALL of my running lights turn on. Take my foot off the brake pedal, everything that just came on turns off.

In such case, one circuit gives power to the other... Very simple.

Kind Regards.

Maybe he is refering to the common mistake of placing a Single Contact 1156 Bulb, in the place for a Dual Contact Bulb; in that case, this exact issue will Happens:

In such case, one circuit gives power to the other... Very simple.

Kind Regards.

Unfortunately that is not the case here. I am using the correct bulb number. I just went out and retried it again. Tried to reverse the way its installed into the socket and it will only go in one way. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the bulbs I got from Auto-zone are can-bus compatible where-as I need the non can-bus bulbs. I've already got these on order and hopefully they work.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/1157-led-bulb-dual-intensity-30-led/159/700/

Edited by spicypeanut

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Unfortunately that is not the case here. I am using the correct bulb number. I just went out and retried it again. Tried to reverse the way its installed into the socket and it will only go in one way. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the bulbs I got from Auto-zone are can-bus compatible where-as I need the non can-bus bulbs. I've already got these on order and hopefully they work.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/1157-led-bulb-dual-intensity-30-led/159/700/

Did this swap work for you?

Did this swap work for you?

Okay, so here is a little break down so you can see what I was able to swap over. In order to get any of those turn signal lights to work correctly, I needed to buy a new flasher and just swap it out with the factory unit. The new flasher is an LED compatible flasher. Swapping that out will allow all the LEDs to be used which I listed below so far. The only thing I need to do is get a second LED flasher relay and swap out the factory flasher relay that controls the emergency lights. (When you push in the Hazard button and the lights blink on and off)

I am curious that if I get that, if that will allow the brake lights to be upgraded to the LED bulbs or not.

The following lights I was able to convert to LED:

Front turn signal

Front running lights

Front Side running lights

Rear Side running lights

Rear turn signal

Gauge Cluster lights

Dome Light

The following lights I am planning on converting to LED (just need to buy the bulb and swap, not other modifications will be needed):

Heater control back lights

Rear License plate running lights

The following lights I was unable to convert to LED (yet):

Rear Brake light

This LED was actually too big and will not correctly fit into my tail light housing, so I would caution anyone from buying it. Basically the cone of the LED board for the light was too wide and wouldn't allow the bulb to lock into the socket.

I just realized that I had 2 extra led bulbs that would replace the rear license plate lights. So after taking everything apart I had to pinch the fingers of each socket so that they hold the led bulbs into the socket tighter. After installing both led bulbs for some reason the bulbs keep flickering and after I inspected one it appeared to have melted! Maybe the LEDs I was using was too powerful? I'm not sure. I put the factory bulbs back in and buttoned it back up.