Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So i recently bought a 1999 Subaru Forester with about 178k miles on it, the car runs good, i was able to get the car for a very reasonable price. The only thing i don't like about it is when I am at a red light or when i first start the car it runs really really crappy at idle. I looked it up and out of all the information i had read it seems like i have to clean or replace the IACV in the car. I don't want to start taking things apart and then not have a certain part or need to replace a gasket so i was just wondering if anyone has a step by step process i could use? or any tips that will help me fix this problem? Thank you much

-tye

take the car to Sellers Subaru.

a guy on another Forum had a great experience there recently.

maybe seaRCH YOUTUBE FOR A VIDEO.

SORRY, THAT'S ONE JOB i HAVEN'T DONE, JUST READ ABOUT.

Yea i tried the sea foam treatment before i do anything else to it, thank you though

99 forester is known for having problems with the IAC valve. They're super easy to replace though, as long as you don't round the heads out of the screws that hold it on.

Link with picture of the location of the IACV: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/159882-post7.html

The link is for a 2000 Outback, but its the same engine as your Forester.

These are available aftermarket, but I'm not sure of the quality of the aftermarket replacements. I've done two of these and replaced both with used parts from eBay.

Before you replace the IACV, look into replacing the ECT sensor. Also replace the spark plugs and wires if they're old, the air and fuel filters, and the PCV valve.

Also check over all of the vacuum hoses and the breather hoses that attach to the intake box. Make sure none are cracked, split, or loose.