Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gen one steering question

Ok....I get this "knocking" kinda sound in the steering shaft when I hit a bump, or at 60-65 MPH. The steering is tight, new outer tie rod ends, (it aligned perfectly), new lower ball joints and balanced new tires.

The steering wheel does not shake or vibrate, driving or braking either, but even a bump at low speed and you can hear the "knock". Even if I hold the wheel firmly at 60 mph, I still hear the "rattle/knock"!!!

Now I do have some 1/8" spacers on the wheels, bacuae I'm using Loyale steel wheels and they rub with out the spacers.

I'm thinking it's the steering shaft universal joint?? I even replaced the steering wheel.....same noise.

Help! Ideas?

78 DL 2WD wagon.

Todd

Does the steering wheel move up and down in the column at all? I had a 85 wagon that did this, and I found out theres a poly collar around the shaft at the top. It wears out eventually and the wheel knocks and moves around some.

I dont know if this is the same setup as yours tho, so this could be just pointless rambling at 1:30am.

I had some aftermarket tie rod ends that would hit the inside edges of my wheels and do the same thing but that was on an ea81 86 hatchback.

If that isn't it you might have to stick some gen1 wheels on just to eliminate the spacers. Sorry to even say this.

Could be the control arm or bushings too. My wagon does this on one side, and I have come to find out that the bushing is worn because the control arm mount is slightly bent it looks like..... EA81, but your setup should be similar. On mine it's not really a knock, just a much louder transmission of noise when that side hits something going down the freeway - like those reflectors in the road. You can "hear" the passenger side a LOT more than the drivers side. Hard to say really. Front end noises are always a bitch to figure out. Could be ball joints too. The ball joints on my Brat make noise when I take off hard.... hell - could be almost anything - but those are a few ideas.

GD