Ultimate Subaru Message Board

tranny problem

This weekend I took my family on a road trip to New York in our 1988 GL-10 turbo automatic (4sp)and I noticed that the tranny was whining quite a bit between shifts. Yesterday my wife got in it to take the kids to school and she said there was a bang and then no shifting. Now the car is whining at idle and there is no transfer of power to the wheels. the car just sits there. I think the torque converter blew and that is what my mechanic thinks also. Anyone know of a place to get a converter for the turbo four speed automatic AWD tranny?

Thanks for any help.

Mike

Hey Mike,

When a torque converter grenades it normally sends shrapnel through the whole tranny and can cause other failures. A new converter along with cleaning out the tranny is really the minimum and you could still have more trouble in the near future. If it were me I’d look for a good used unit. BTW, I've blown a few converters in my old chevy diesel pick-up and never heard a "bang", just a quickly progressing slip to no go, you may have another problem.

Hope all turns out well

Gary