Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey you offroaders using welded diffs!!

ezapar

i have an LSD in the rear (ea81) and did some crawling and i wasnt to impressed....you can feel it want to pull you up, and it tries to grab but it usually means backing down and trying it again. id like to weld a diff up.....ill see what i can find........oh yeah do remove the rear axle cuz it puts too much tensoin on it cornering ?

you can remove it. it's better. but i can't, my car is rear wheel drive. welded rear and lsd in front. it handles great for a subaru. ain't the best on the street. but after you learn the quirks, it comes second nature, to compensate for the rear end being locked. but if you are still fwd, then disconnect a rear axle and stay in fwd on the pavement.

Can anyone tell me if they have broken any part on the diff when driving onroad with both axles in and it welded? I used to drive in 4WD with my 4sp with an open rear diff and I found my rear inner cups had opened up slightly and had a bit of play, I'm guessing this would get much worse with it welded.

Can anyone tell me if they have broken any part on the diff when driving onroad with both axles in and it welded? I used to drive in 4WD with my 4sp with an open rear diff and I found my rear inner cups had opened up slightly and had a bit of play, I'm guessing this would get much worse with it welded.

I have ran a Locked welded diff for over a year EA82 have had no issues at all with axles 27" tires Scott

yessir. all ea81

i've had one front birf go, 2 front cups, 6 or 7 rear stub shafts, broke john's welded diff, blew up the spider gears on an open diff, 2 rear axles sheared on the shaft, and a couple rear cup/bearing failures... all ea81 parts. not that the ea82's are much different in design.

has anyone broke an ea82 axle or legacy axle ?? , reason I ask is Im wanting to know the limits of these parts , the newer legacy/impreza stuff looks pretty tough , but are they??

If you can go with imp axles, do so. They seem to tough as nails. Example being Ken in his imp trying out our new rally tires. He popped the clutch in the hard packed parking lot and dug 4 holes about an inch deep and a foot and a half long launching.

My buddy Sean is sitting on some where near 350 whp in his 01 RS. I know he blew right through the stock clutch, but haven't heard any stories of axles dying.

If you can go with imp axles, do so. They seem to tough as nails. Example being Ken in his imp trying out our new rally tires. He popped the clutch in the hard packed parking lot and dug 4 holes about an inch deep and a foot and a half long launching.

My buddy Sean is sitting on some where near 350 whp in his 01 RS. I know he blew right through the stock clutch, but haven't heard any stories of axles dying.

Im building something similar to this based on a legacy wagon componants , figure it should be strong enough ,will be extra light , will be running 31" tires ( yes had to move the struts up to clear ) only time will tell if the axles will hold up

9463Steve_on_the_Beach.jpg