Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rusty Fuel Tank on my 1992 LSeries

Hi everyone,

I'm in the UK where the L-Series was never massively popular but I've had 4 over the years and I'm doing a rolling restoration on my old red one. The last MOT for my 1992 l-series estate was ok but for a leaking petrol tank. I dropped the tank out of the car, decanted the fuel, washed out the tank and used a tank-sealing resin to seal up the various leaks. I then put it all back in and it passed the MOT. But now it's leaking again - either the repairs did not hold or it's sprung another hole. Anyway, I need to find another tank. Any suggestions - If the price is not too bad I could ship from overseas to UK but really I'm hoping to find a new-old-stock in the UK or close. Does the tank from the MV/Brat/Pickup fit?

best wishes all,

Nick

Hey, thanks Smashed Glass - that might well be a viable route - I'll check it out. I've also been thinking about making one myself as it's only a sheet of steel a few pipes and fixings and a weekend's work. It won't look original but at least I'll know it's strong!

Unfortunately, the tank you mentioned won't fit properly. I doubt the mounting holes line up.

Even rarer I suspect is the XT/Vortex. That tank should fit.

Weight wouldn't be a shipping problem, just the size.

Just be careful when sourcing the tank. They are different for the carb & EFI models.

Which do you need? Carb ones are very common over here, with the odd EFI coming up (we got EFI turbo from 85 to 87, then NA EFI in 89 & 90).

But I daresay shipping from here will be more expensive than from the US, but ours will more likely not have any rust issues.

The other option open to you if you know how to make one yourself is:

Cut the tank in half horizontally (obviously fill it with water, etc & clean it VERY well so you don't get any sparks.

Check out the floor of your tank & clean it as necessary.

Find the holes & repair them properly.

Reweld back to together.

A few guys here with lift kits did this but added a strip of metal to increase the capacity.