Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stumbling on take-off.

My 1993 2wd Loyale with a 3eat, stumbles/surges on takeoff, from my driveway, a stop light or any other time I am stopped.  It acts like I am patting the gas pedal (if the pedal was super responsive)

It only happens when I lightly press the gas, as in... I just want to drive the car, not floor it and race from A to B.  I can drop the hammer and it doesnt stumble, but who wants to drive like that?

I have a clean fuel pump, that pumps great, no obstructions. And im pretty sure I am getting good fuel pressure. Any ideas? Throttle postioning sensor? Something else?

Just replaced the wires, plugs, rotor and cap 10,000 miles ago. Vacuum leaks I could see, most all of the tubing is getting less flexible and all the vacuum tees and such are getting dry and brittle. Any other guesses?

Isn't the cts on the manifold and the fan sensor on the rad? Kinda sorta have the same thing going on but just a little tiny lag before it pics up from a stop, I would like to know what you find:) I have done all the tune up stuff also and it just seems to be missing a little off the line:) we all know it's not a race car but it feels like a bog more than a power thing if that makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...

Exhaust leaks also can cause stumbling problems on a turbo model. The fan sensor, is a coolant temperature sensor/switch. The only thing that it can sense is temperature of the coolant and the radiator that it attaches to. They tend to come apart real easily, for some reason.