Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tires?

nick1208

I've got the Grabbers, and I'd highly recommend them! They do awesome in the snow and really good in most other terrains. If you go through mud a lot, the Grabbers won't do so well in the deep stuff, but otherwise, I love 'em!

Actually the bighorns are cheaper where I'm at than the grabbers.

No kidding. I was actually just looking. At bighorn the other day and they were over a hundred more expensive for a set of 4.

I used my grabbers in mud last year near the edge of a lake that the level had dropped and they did awesome, but obviously the big horns would be better with the bigger lugs. But they may wear faster if you do a lot of on road driving.

I have a nice set of 235/75/15Lt wildcat ext I'm trying to get rid of if you need new tires nick & don't wanna buy new. They've got good tread left. I'm not gonna use anytime soon since the hatch has new Swampers on it. Text me of you're interested .....

i have the grabbers . they are awesome in the snow and dirt but in deep swampy mud you dont move very fast . they still get you to where your going but not a mud tire. i wouldnt run the big horns daily driving unless you constantly stop by a mud pit and have a need for them . just my opinion .

My bighorns have 4 years on them........just getting to the end of life now.....of course I don't drive my wheeler everyday....

I have to say though.....that my experience with other models of general passenger tires makes me not want to try out the Grabbers........Generals have been some of the worst tires I 've ever driven on.

I bought a set from Big-O tires in 2004 for my delivery car.  Returned them under there "ride quality garaunteed" policy after 3 days.........They felt flat and wallowy even after checking the pressure several times.

They didn't want to give me my money back.  Said they could credit me towards a higher priced, "better" tire.  I refused.  They could not produce any written acount of what their "garauntee" actually entailed.  They tried to make me spend more money after selling me a crappy product to begin with.

I wanted to buy Cooper tires, which I found elsewhere for slightly less than I paid Big-O for the generals.....They wouldn't order me the Coopers....(seems dumb....they could of at least kept my business)

Took days of showing up at door open with ads from other places and a letter to Big-O corporate and the BBB before they cut me a check.  I went and bought the Coopers.

I personally will not buy Generals after that experience......Big-O ruined it for them.

BIGHORNS !!!

I got it quoted from a local tire shop that had the grabbers in stock, which is probably why they jacked the price up. didn't even think about looking online

. That's what the stock 13"s are for the 15" can be swapped on for off road days and u have a 2nd set if u blow one on a trail

Yeah.....but who the hell wants to drive their lifted subaru around on little tiny 13's?......talk about tipsy.

And who wants to swap 4 wheels everytime to hit a little trail?

I pull an axle for my welded diff and that's already annoying after it's all covered in mud getting ready to go home.  There's no way in hell I would want to cram 4 big muddy ATV tires in the back of my wagon at the end of the day to drive home.

Yeah...let's load 500Lbs of muddy tires into the trunk then cruise around with a 6" lift and practically donut spares on the road.

Bighorns every time.........I'll follow you anywhere you want to go in the mud.  Then I'll leave and drive home on em'

• Like 1

I have Bighorns in 235/75/15 and with my 2" lift I had 27x8.50x14 Bighorns.  They are a great all around tire.  Good offroad and decent on road with noise and tracking.  They are a softer tire so they will definitely wear faster than an all terrain.  If you spend more time onroad then off or if its a daily driver you will definitely want to go all terrain.  They will have a longer life and will behave better on wet roads or ice.  A guy who used to wheel with us ran Grabbers and he was able to keep up with us on all the trails albeit with a little bit more throttle.

TireRack has them for $384

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=Grabber+AT+2&sidewall=Outlined%20White%20Letters&partnum=785QR4GRAT2OWL&tab=Sizes

Edited by Vegablade

I have Bighorns in 235/75/15 and with my 2" lift I had 27x8.50x14 Bighorns.  They are a great all around tire.  Good offroad and decent on road with noise and tracking.  They are a softer tire so they will definitely wear faster than an all terrain.  If you spend more time onroad then off or if its a daily driver you will definitely want to go all terrain.  They will have a longer life and will behave better on wet roads or ice.  A guy who used to wheel with us ran Grabbers and he was able to keep up with us on all the trails albeit with a little bit more throttle.

TireRack has them for $384

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=Grabber+AT+2&sidewall=Outlined%20White%20Letters&partnum=785QR4GRAT2OWL&tab=Sizes

Yeah it is my daily and I do use it for commuting to school and work almost every day. I spend way more time on the road than off, but when I do go off the road I want to be able to grab. My problem with the AT2's is that they don't do so well in mud. 

Get a set of cheap used mts or ats and run those then come wheelin day swap out the bighorns... as ubaroo was sayin... you burn through less expensive tire and use the nice ones for thier intended purpose... good luck bro.

And bighorns would be my bet

Edited by marcusgl10z28

Get a set of cheap used mts or ats and run those then come wheelin day swap out the bighorns... as ubaroo was sayin... you burn through less expensive tire and use the nice ones for thier intended purpose... good luck bro.

And bighorns would be my bet

that's what I was saying